587,283 active members*
3,839 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Mentors & Apprentice Locator > Machinist Certificate of Qualification Exam - Ontario

Machinist Certificate of Qualification Exam - Ontario

Hi everyone, sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I have just finished my in-school portion of my apprenticeship and am planning on writing my C of Q exam at the end of the month.

Obviously I am fairly nervous about it as I haven't exactly had the most training at work, most of my apprenticeship I learned and worked on CNC lathe. I am fairly concerned that I haven't developed enough skills throughout the past few years to successfully write the exam.

Does anyone have any tips, or know of any good sites that I could go to, to find some more information on the exam or more information on the trade?

My in school marks were very high, with a final GPA of 3.95, but I've been told the exam doesn't really reflect what was taught in school.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Hey
    Did you take the exam yet?

I am an electrician in Ontario, I took the Prep. course at local college prior to writing the exam. The best investment I ever made. Aced the exam after that.
    You should look into that. My class was full of apprentices, preparing to write.
    Success rate of people from these prep coarses are in the 90 % range
    Beegner

I thought about taking the course but I didn't. I did write at the end of July and passed with an 87%. I definitely recommend writing as soon as possible after finishing school.

Thanks for responding beegner.

COngrats!
    good to hear.

Hi: I wrote my C of Q 4 years ago, and the best advice I can give is to pull out the Krarr/Oswald texbook titled Modern Machining, that you probably used during your school.
    Study it from front to back. I found alot of questions were based on the texbook, but then again most machining textbooks (general) will cover the same categories.Here's what I can tell you:

1 Know the correct hole sizing for machine reamers below 1/2 inch and above 1/2 inch.
    2.Be able to calculate machining times.
    3.Know how to calculate feeds and speeds.
    4 Be able to figure out when a steardy rest or steady follow needs to be used.

read the texbook, and memorize the basic rules/guidlines, and you'll be fine.
    PS, if you ask they will provide you with a sample of the questions that may be asked. I was given this info when I asked a few yrs. ago. It broke the exam into 8 or 10 different categories, and listed some typical questions/required knowledge in each category. Be able to answer those types of questions, and you will do well.

regards
    ----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid

Hi there, i am CNC Machinist in Ontario from last two years and had a lot of experience in this field back home (India). Just wants to know if i can write the test (C of Q ) without any studies or have to take some school here in Canada .
    Thanx.

Although I'm not too sure about international workers, I do know that it is possible to write the C of Q examination if you have a certain amount of experience (Sorry, I don't know the exact number of hours needed), this is known as Grandfathering. I have a feeling though that you will need to take an apprenticeship as I believe that your hours need to be accumulated while you are in Canada.

Check this link out, it should have most, if not all of the information you are looking for

http://www.citizenship.gov.on.ca/eng...chinists.shtml

Grandfathering has been removed from our system.
    If you have another certificate (such as tool & die, millwright, mouldmaker) you can write for a machinist after completing X number of hours in the field. Also if you have machinist ticket from India you will likely be able to write the Canadian test with no or some hours in the field.
    Otherwise it is apprenticeship for you my friend.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

How long ago did this take effect DareBee? A guy I work with was planning on doing this because he dropped out of his apprenticeship probably 10 years back.

Nice to have some input from somebody just down the highway from me.

Contact the ministry of training colleges and universities: They will tell you exactly what you need to have in order to qualify. Best of luck!

regards

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/tcu/emp...ario/training/
    ----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Asinity View Post
    How long ago did this take effect DareBee? A guy I work with was planning on doing this because he dropped out of his apprenticeship probably 10 years back.

Nice to have some input from somebody just down the highway from me.

15 - 20 years ago

Like Cam says - call the "proper" authorities for the "official" word on the subject.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Thanks for letting me know!

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee View Post
    Grandfathering has been removed from our system.
    If you have another certificate (such as tool & die, millwright, mouldmaker) you can write for a machinist after completing X number of hours in the field. Also if you have machinist ticket from India you will likely be able to write the Canadian test with no or some hours in the field.
    Otherwise it is apprenticeship for you my friend.
    Grandfathering HAS NOT been removed from our system, however it is allot harder to Grandfather a trade now. I know of more than one person that has Granfathered a trade in the past two years, one of them got both his Millwright and Truck & Coach Technician.

Insta Machinist Prep Course

Dont worry I worked at a Aerospace Shop (Heroux Devtek) and some of the Machinists (LOL Button Pushers LOL) took the prep course and all of them became machinists. NOW some of them still have NO Idea how to even sharpen a drill but then theres machines that do that for them. The point im getting to is dont worry take youre prep course if you can or write the test if you flunk, just rewrite it. Read the machine shop high school books and you will probably pass. Dont worry you will be happy you did it.

there was a lot of talk about there being 3 different tests for machinists. but talking to a few of the people that were in my class, everyone strangely enough got the same test lol, what are the odds.