587,308 active members*
3,565 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > chain graphics display issues

chain graphics display issues

I give up, I've spent the last few hours trying to find a way to display a chain for a solid part brought into x5 from x3. I want to edit the chain. I've brought older mcam files into x5 without this issue before. I did not program this particular part but that shouldn't matter unless I'm missing some check box changed by the original programmer. Another strange occurence is when I open the part in x5 a dialouge box appears (see attachment). I've rechained many times before, I haven't a clue why I'm having trouble. If any one can help I would appreciate it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails referenced file warning.JPG  

That dialog box is telling you that you hae loaded a CNC machine that is set up to run in X3. That file, the CONTROL, and PST file will have to be updated to X5. This can be done thru the "UpdatePost" C-hook

You may have to browse for and re-select the CNC machine in the correct directory, when opening a session from a previous version

Now, the chains are from a solid entity and cannot be exported/imported via the operations manager

You could open the X3 file with X5 and then do a "Save As", or you could "Merge" the old file into the new session

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    That dialog box is telling you that you hae loaded a CNC machine that is set up to run in X3. That file, the CONTROL, and PST file will have to be updated to X5. This can be done thru the "UpdatePost" C-hook

You may have to browse for and re-select the CNC machine in the correct directory, when opening a session from a previous version

Now, the chains are from a solid entity and cannot be exported/imported via the operations manager

You could open the X3 file with X5 and then do a "Save As", or you could "Merge" the old file into the new session

Thank you for the explaintion. I did a little more reading on update post c hook and found it very useful.

In regard to chains I could still use a little more clarification? From what I'm interpeting from your statement, you are suggesting chains created in an older file opened in a newer mcam version will not highlight yellow when clicked on in the operation manager?

"save as" will not change the highlighted chain issue, correct? I tried it and it didn't work. I did a little reading on merging and understood it to convert files of different units (ie metric to inch or vice versa). Thanks again for all your help.