587,402 active members*
3,117 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

NEED HELP PLEASE - Motors on CNC won't work properly

Hi,

I'm pretty new around here, I've been reading a lot, but never really posted much. I'm not sure if this is the correct thread, if not, mods, could you move it please.

I need some help with my CNC router. It's a home-made machine which I purchased a couple of months ago. It was working properly, albeit with crap wiring. However, now when I press the arrow keys to manually move the motors, they only move minutely. A couple of the wires had come out, but when I returned them to the position I thought they should go, it was still doing the same thing. So I decided to re-wire the entire table and all the electronics, and still I have the same problem??? Therefore I need some help please.

I have recently retired, and I am starting to think that my brain has decided to retire also....

The CNC router consists of the following:
    - CNC4PC C11 Breakout Board
    - 3 x ND556 Drivers
    - 2 x FL60STH86-2008BP Motors
    - 1 x FL57STH76-2804B Motor
    - Using Mach3

If anyone has any suggestions as to what the problem is, or maybe if someone is located close and has the time to come and have a look, I would greatly appreciate it. I am located in St. Albans, Melbourne.

Some of you will probably remember me or at least remember my daughter Stephanie, as we attended the BBQ last year.

Thanks in advance...
    Albert

With the Mach3 screen on, when you hit the TAB key it will bring up the Jog Control Panel. If you have changed your "Cycle Jog Step" to some small number, that could cause the problem, or if you've changed the "Mode" to "single-step", that would do it also.

Hi Dorsal,

Thanks for your reply. Nothing has been changed in the software. I don't know enough about it yet to go that far.

I moved the electronics and computer inside due to not wanting to spend so many hours outside in the cold and the problems have changed. Now I have a permanent E-Stop message. E-Stop, Home & Limit switches are all in place.

For the moment, I am looking at cleaning the cobwebs out of the computer and solving the E-Stop problem, then I will start again with a process of elimination.

Regards,
    Albert

Hi,

Just want to let you all know that I have succeeded in returning my Router to the land of the living. It was a wiring problem that caused all the drama.

It has been something of a learning curve, but I am now a little more knowledgable about it.

Regards,

Albert

G'day Albert

Just now stumbled on this thread.

How is it going? I am in Geelong. Can I be any help?

Say hello to Stephanie for me.

Greg

Hii Greg,

My router is back up & running. I have fully rewired it. That corrected the problem but a fault was still there until I realized that the E-Stop must be in place, even when the electronics are on the kitchen table. After I fitted that, it all came to life.

Now I will have to read up and find out how to speed it up.

Now that I am rertired, I have plenty of time on my hands.

Thanks for the offer of help.

I will remember you to Steph when I see her again. I also have another daughter who is interested in building her own machine.

Regards,

Albert