588,632 active members*
5,316 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Bugs in 2005

Bugs in 2005

I upgraded to 2005 and just started using it. I am finding a lot of glitches. Such as...
    -The pulldown menus are slow
    -You have to regenerate to show newly offset or copied geometry
    -No cursor (crosshairs)
    -Crosshairs leaving a trail.

Also, the added colors seem to confuse more than help. It just makes masking one step longer because you have to find which "shade" the geometry is.

Has anyone else found any other problems?

Does anyone know if there is a fix on the way?

Mdlmkr, It sounds like you have a video card problem. Do you know what your card is? There is some new info on the Surfware web page. Click the support tab/Surfcam FAQ's for a lot of info on video stuff. You'll need to log in to get to those pages, which should be no problem if you're on maintenance.

I have Surfcam 2005, but haven't used it at work yet, because my machine apparently doesn't have the right video card. I have an ATI Fire GL2 with 64 megs of ram on it, and Surfcam 2005 won't run on it. I can run it at home, but I have twice the box that I have at work. nVIDIA cards seem to be the best application for CAD/CAM. I just got one for $269 at Fry's. The Quadro series are $350-$450. I hope I can convince IS to get me one!

Mdlmkr,
    I too have had the video card problem. Was in the process of putting together a new machine and all I could tell was I need a DIRECT X capable card. I went out and bought a nice Wildcat realizm 200 board for about $800 and it doesn't work for "verify".
    Both 3dlabs and surfware claim to be working on it. Something to do with DIRECT X or OPEN GL proprietary. Obviously there is something wrong here. Looks like anbother battle for standards. Anyway, call Surfcam for a recommended card, but make sure it is compatable with your design software as well....Good luck.

Dan

Lightbulb Wait for follow up Build releases

I have been using surfcam for over ten years and have learned a couple of things. Never load and use a new full release, wait a month or two for a couple of newer builds to be released (ask your re-seller) then update. They also seem to have a lot of issues with video cards. I have had top end cards not work at all to the lowest of low end cards work well. When we spec out a new computer I always spend some time discussing it with our surfcam re-seller to get a list of most needed and compatable hardware. I should also point out that our dealer is a top notch computer guy and that may not be the case for everyone.

I Have 2005 But Also I Have The Latest Service Pack B120
    And It Deals With Alot Of Those Problems
    And Fixed Great Deal Of Them

Yes; I had all of the same problems on one of my workstations that have been cleared up by the installation of b120... I found it to work better as a new installation instaed of an upgrade installation.

Hope this helps, Kev...

Have to agree with "too many colors" complaint by mdlmkr. They needed a few more colors maybe or something along the line of a color pallet that you can edit for the colors you want/need. I am somewhat color blind to start with and all those shades so close together are impossible tell apart. I recently installed my 2005 b120 and have some of the same video type problems, nothing major but annoying. All things considered it is an improvement. Any comments about the VELOCITY package...somewhat skeptical here.

My opinion of Velocity; I think its a cool addition and would benafit anyone working with all or mostly 2d programming. I would have to say, 90% of the programming I do here is 3d so I'm not able to take advantage. Maybe they will build it into the 3d rough routine next!!! Now 3d rough with the truemill technology may be something...

My opinion...

They Are Working On Putting The Truemill In The Srm
    And Z Level Roughing
    I Have Not Used The Truemill Much
    But I Try To Use It When I Can To See What I Can Get Out Of It

Thanks for the input. I used surfcam for 10 years at the last place I worked on a nice mix of lathe, 2d, 3d, and hi-speed 3d. Never thought much of the other systems that the owner bought and/or trial ran. He was always looking for the "edge" over the competetion and believed what every cad/cam seller was preaching. When he went to IMTS every other year he always came back with the latest and greatest. The difference between what the salesmen was selling and reality of actual use was usually pretty big. That is why I'm always somewhat skeptical about claims they make. Delcam had a nice/powerful 3d package that we purchased but the 2d end of it was awful. Velocity sounds great, hope to get some free time to actually try it out. In the meantime always glad to read what others think or have tried.