587,772 active members*
3,419 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Does MasterCAM X really come free with this book?

Does MasterCAM X really come free with this book?

I happened to stumble across this book that looks like it would be helpful for me. I'm very new to this and am looking for books at Amazon and at the local library that will point me in the proper direction.

It's been years since I wrote any G-code, and I just got a Bridgeport V2XT.

Can anyone tell me whether this is a functional version, and if it has any limitations? It sounds too good to be true.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0831133163[/ame]

For those of you that don't want to follow the link.

"Programming CNC machines" by Ken Evans, published April 30, 2007 by Industrial Press. 500 pages.

Snippet from amazon listing...
    The only textbook that covers edgeCAM CAD/CAM Programming. Project Lead the Way (PLTW) has adopted edgeCAM as the CAD/CAM program they use in their Computer Integrated Manufacturing (CIM) courses taught at high schools across the nation.
    - Includes the latest version of Mastercam--Mastercam X(color added by me)

You can download MastercamX2 for free from their own homepage. (476Mb)You pay for the license,not the program.
    Stefan Vendin

So, what limitations does the software have if you use it with no license. Obviously there would be no tech support, but what else?

Question

Luke, I believe the phrase "includes the latest version of Mastercam . . ." refers to the subject material of the text and not software included with the text. The Mastercam program requires a hardware dongle to access the software . . . no dongle, zero functionality . . . you can obtain a copy of Mastercam Design LT ( geometry creation only ) for $250 or thereabouts from a local Mastercam dealer. You can find your local dealer at www.mastercam.com.

Quote Originally Posted by LandCruiserLuke View Post
    So, what limitations does the software have if you use it with no license. Obviously there would be no tech support, but what else?

You can't use it without a license.That's the reason you can download the full version for free.
    Stefan Vendin

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsui Seiki View Post
    You can't use it without a license.That's the reason you can download the full version for free.
    Can you elaborate on this? Can't use it to do what? I can download it for evaluation purposes, but can't export a drawing to the mill for production? Can play with drawings, but can't save them?

Sorry to be so dense, but what does the "dongle" permit one to do? What does it physically [electronically] keep one from doing?

I'm not arguing that they shouldn't get paid for their software, and I'm in no way condoning piracy; rather I'm asking a technical question, I suppose, about how this mechanism works.

You can't use it.Period.
    You can download it from Mastercam.You can install it on your computer.That's it.
    Without the license you can't get any further.
    The "dongle" permit is the same as the license.You need a hardware lock from Mastercam to plug in to your computer.
    Stefan Vendin

Ok now that you are truly confused by what they are telling you.
    What comes with the Book is a Demo copy for Practice only.

Limits:
    1) can not save your file.
    2) Posting is limited to few lines.

the one that Stefan is talking about is the upgrade for existing users.
    This does no good if you do not have the Dongle key that you get when you buy the full lic.

Hope this helps.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    Ok now that you are truly confused by what they are telling you.
    What comes with the Book is a Demo copy for Practice only.

Limits:
    1) can not save your file.
    2) Posting is limited to few lines.

the one that Stefan is talking about is the upgrade for existing users.
    This does no good if you do not have the Dongle key that you get when you buy the full lic.

Hope this helps.
    That helps a lot! And makes perfect sense. Thank you!

The demo disk is nice for any one to have. You can do 5X toolpaths, Solid modeling, Lathe Live tooling. It's a great way to practice, or see if you like something before upgrading to another level/feature.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

mastercam lt

i have a mastercam lt i can sell.

What are you trying to sell book or software?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .