588,231 active members*
4,442 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Surfcam > trying to program an open pocket

trying to program an open pocket

SurfCAM 5.2

Can someone walk me thru programming a pocket that is open at both ends?

My pc is 8" long x 3" wide x .250" thk

I'm trying to mill a "pocket" open at both ends 1.55 wide .070" deep with a
    .500" endmill.

I want the cutter to mill beyond the ends of the pc.

I can get the pocket to work without milling past the ends, but when
    I change the ends to material instead of part the tool path looks crazy.

It cut a couple of passes thru the center, then jumps to the outside for a pass.

Thank you.

open pocket

Quote Originally Posted by Manny Machado View Post
    SurfCAM 5.2
    I'm trying to mill a "pocket" open at both ends 1.55 wide .070" deep with a
    .500" endmill.

I want the cutter to mill beyond the ends of the pc.

I can get the pocket to work without milling past the ends, but when
    I change the ends to material instead of part the tool path looks crazy.

It cut a couple of passes thru the center, then jumps to the outside for a pass.

Thank you.
    draw a rectangle "boundary box" then select the boundary box as your pocket. if the boundary box over hangs your pocket on the ends the maybe this will work for you. most CAM software also allows picking a start point so I would normally pick outside your pocket (near corner of boundary box)and after end mill goes to depth it mills into your pocket.

The way I do it is to offset the 2 end lines enough to accommodate the cutter and then trim the pocket to those new lines. Only takes a few seconds. I’m sure someone will chime in here and say to use the material option but I’ve never figured that out in situations like this.

I don't think DMF TomB has ever used Surfcam. DMF, hmm.., wonder what that stands for...

Use contour instead of pocket, take .7 on the sides and change your leadin and leadout to "line on all" at an angle of 0 deg. to make it cut beyond the end of the line.

no drawing needed.

lorenm, good idea. I forgot about the leadin, leadout thingy. Of course the cutter would be taking a full width cut on the first pass. I purfer to start in the middle and spiral out.

I agree that material option does not seem to work well with standard pockets but does with TruMill, which I would not use for this application .

Send me an e-mail and I will send you this program the way i would do it.

Lowell
    [email protected]

Take a look at these two videos, this is sometimes called open pocket or airwall.

Milling Open Features: 2-axis Pocket

Milling Open Features: 2-axis Contour

The Videos that Darinbee linked show excellent examples of the MATERIAL feature in surfcam that some of the other posters didn't understand.

phylchurch6 Guest
    I just purchased BobCad.

Camfather, Yes the videos are excellent but I’m not sure how the videos relate to the problem from the original poster. He was trying to cut a slot using the Pocket routine and using Material doesn’t work in this situation from what I’ve tried in the past. Either he has to extend the ends of the pocket or use the Contour routine.

Quote Originally Posted by moldcore View Post
    Camfather, Yes the videos are excellent but I’m not sure how the videos relate to the problem from the original poster. He was trying to cut a slot using the Pocket routine and using Material doesn’t work in this situation from what I’ve tried in the past. Either he has to extend the ends of the pocket or use the Contour routine.
    They don't help the OG poster, however they are good examples of the material feature in smurfcam.

The only way to do a slot is to extend the geometry past the ends of the slot.

When I posted my comment I had thought someone had posted they didn't understand the Material Feature, but I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenm View Post
    Use contour instead of pocket, take .7 on the sides and change your leadin and leadout to "line on all" at an angle of 0 deg. to make it cut beyond the end of the line.

no drawing needed.
    i agree the way i do it is exactly the same use 2d contour and mill the pocket out using your amount to remove on sides in the cut control tab to make your first pass in the center of your pocket then step it inward toward your wall and then do same thing on the other side works perfectly and no drawing needed