588,244 active members*
4,667 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > GibbsCAM > GibbsCam install on Windows Vista

Unhappy GibbsCam install on Windows Vista

Hi all, I'm having trouble getting my Gibbs V7 to install on my Vista equipped laptop. Any suggestions?
    You didn't crash it, did you?

get rid of the vista; there's a "security element" to the os that prevents a lot of xp and older software from running at all. I don't know if your gibbs was meant to be compatible with vista- if it is then you might want to ask them what's the deal.

I had a vista os for a toshiba laptop I bought a few years ago- stupid os wouldn't even instal without crashing- never worked. I called toshiba, got a list of the onboard hardware found xp drivers for those devices and installed xp on it. Works great.

might be hard to find xp in retail now- but there are places and there are ways- their loss

If it is the home edition of Vista - run away - fast.
    I ran GibbsCAM on Vista Business and Ultimate until Win 7 was released with no problems.
    It seems manufacturers like to "equip" their laptops with home versions, so I format and start over with each new laptop I buy. That also gets rid of all their "junk add ons" designed to "help" you by making your computer run slower ;o).

Thanks, I just purchased a copy of Win7 so thats what i'll be doing.
    You didn't crash it, did you?

this might help

i recently installed 04 gibbs cam on windows 7 .i had to rename the short cut folder seems win 7 renamed it when i transfered to 7 from xp.be sure all links are named the same as in other win applications.it runs fine now.good luck