588,427 active members*
5,651 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Fixed gantry router

I started on my new machine yesterday, a fixed gantry router. I made pretty good progress and hopefully will be cutting parts with it by the middle of this week. As you can see in the pictures, it is comprised of a NSK robot module for the X, and a similar one will be bolted onto the fixed gantry for the Y. A smaller module will work as the Z. The clearance between the gantry supports is 24.5 inches and the clearance under the gantry with the mill surface bolted on is 6+ inches. The gantry is further supported by two 18 inch angle struts, making the whole thing quite rigid. The 20" x 20" x .5" mic6 cast AL plate mill table should be rigid enough for light cuts over the whole surface, and actually should be capable of supporting heavy cuts in the center 10" x 10" area. Sort of a dual purpose machine here I guess..if you want to mill something out of aluminum on a vice, just plop it down in the center of the table...at least that is the idea.

Speeds are going to be insane. Rapids should be in excess of 1000 IPM on all three axis.

Here are the first pics, more to follow after todays work is done:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fixedgantrybase1.JPG   milltable.JPG  

Can you actually get to 1000ipm and back to 0 in 18"? Looks good.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"Can you actually get to 1000ipm and back to 0 in 18"?"

No, probably not I'll test it later today when I have the X axis table surface bolted to the robot module. The actual module itself can do 1 meter per second, which is almost 2400 IPM. The table surface weighs about 20 pounds, so that is probably going to reduce the acceleration by quite some bit. Maybe something like 500 IPM is more realistic..we shall see!

A video of X and Y moving as fast as possible would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by KTP View Post

A video of X and Y moving as fast as possible would be interesting.
    And mandatory of course.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

A little bit of progress yesterday. I made 2 brackets for the NSK robot module that is the gantry axis of the machine and mounted it to the fixed gantry frame. It is VERY rigid, but I am probably going to add one more bracket near each end to fasten it to the gantry upright supports (you can see similar brackets on each end of the moving table slide). I ran out of 1/2" alluminum stock though, so will have to do those a bit later.

I did a test of the Y axis and indeed it can move at over 2000 IPM. The acceleration is fast enough that it gets up to speed in a very short distance (1 or 2 inches?) Obviously there is not the mass of the z axis yet, but at any rate, it is going to impressive (I hope).

Currently working on the z axis mounting plate. Hope to get that done and mounted today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gantryaxis.JPG  

That's a nice machine, the t-slot extrusion is great to work with. I like the fixed gantry design, I'm thinking of making a pcb mill of a similar style when my first cnc machine is done. It just needs to be very rigid and accurate, with maybe an 8x8 to 12x12 cutting area. Where did you pickup those NSK robot modules? Those are pretty pricey devices, but solves alot of design work with linear bearings and screws. Can't wait to see more!

Ok, so I am going to do a bit of calculation here on what a realistic IPM might be for the gantry axis.

The 300 watt brushless servo and 90% efficient ballscrew produce 300 Newtons of force at the slide carriage.

Let us take a guess that the mass of the z axis will be 15kg or less.

F=MA, or 300=15 x A

So the max acceleration of the gantry axis would be 20 meters/sec^2

So we want to know how long it will take for the carriage to reach 1000 IPM from 0 IPM.

Vfinal = Vinital + A* t (where t = time)

so plugging in 0.423 m/sec for Vfinal, we find that t = 0.0212 seconds.

So a 15 kg mass (about 33lbs) will reach 1000 IPM in 0.0212 seconds.

Now how far has the carriage travelled in 0.0212 seconds?

Assuming that the initial velocity and initial position are zero, we can use:

X = 0.5 A * t^2

plugging in our values for A and t, and we find that X = 0.0045 meters

So the carriage has travelled 4.5mm or about 0.177 inches to reach 1000 IPM velocity.

Really? I would have guessed at least an inch or more...anyone want to recheck my figures?

No, that looks correct. Most people underestimate how fast the machine can accelerate. Obviously assuming 300N of force is the very upper limit, which may or may not be reachable. He most likely had his acceleration set much lower.

video of gantry moving at 2000 IPM

Yes, two thousand inches per minute (at the end of the video).

The z axis is finished, and weighs 28 lbs without the brushless servo motor that will be driving the Taig spindle

Now that is cool!

rwaudio: sorry I missed your question. I purchased the NSK (and adept, which seem to be exactly the same) robot modules on ebay over the past couple of years. Once in awhile a good deal on them will pop up, but you have to be patient.

Here are some pictures of the z axis, which is almost finished except for adding in the brushless 500 watt servo to drive the Taig spindle. It currently weighs 28 lbs without that motor, so the total will be around 33lbs..pretty dang close to my guess of 15kg. I was not happy with the roll, pitch, yaw moment specs (10 Nm) of the z axis adept robot slide (sz series) so I added a beefy linear rail and carriage to significantly increase the moment capacity. The thing is rock solid, no flex.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails zaxis1.JPG   zaxis2.JPG  

I just set up a dial indicator on the gantry axis and measured the backlash.

My dial indicator only has 0.0005" graduations, and I couldn't tell if it was off by any amount, certainly less than half a graduation.

I think we can call less than 0.00025" backlash good enough for wood routing

As another note, when I pressed on the side of the z axis with about 10 pounds of force by hand (estimated), the dial indicator moved just a little less than one graduation (0.0005"). Of course some of this was probably the servo motor not being tuned perfectly, but also it would show that there is very little flex in the z axis assembly.

Quite happy so far.

Talking

Very Nice, any video yet ? and thanks for making me set my goals even higher for my next CNC ....

wow pretty quick machine there...but lets say your running 60,000 rpm and using a 2 flute cutter at about.010'' per rev. = 600 ipm...so ..you better run around .0165 per rev ,or you better get a 120,000 rpm spindle just to be safe...(you know im pulling your leg now right?) seriosly a fast machine! , those are some pretty neat drives all included appears to work very well
    "witty comment"

Ha! Yes, I thought about how the machine really goes too fast for it's own good. The fastest spindle I have is a Bosch router, and that only tops out at around 25,000 RPM. Cutting speeds will probably be in the 200 to 300 IPM range for soft materials, but at least the machine can get from cut to cut fast

I made only a bit of progress over the weekend because other things were going on. I did get the brushless servo running, and bored out a 40 tooth pulley for the brushless 500 watt servo and a 20 tooth pulley for the Taig spindle. The 8 pole brushless servo is supposed to do up to 7000 RPM, but I am getting some vibration above 5000. I think some of this is because I am using a trapezoidal amp to drive it...all of the sinusoidal amps I have are being used to drive the 4 pole Tamagawa motors in these NSK and Adept slides that make up the gantry mill. You can't drive the Tamagawa 4 pole motors with a trapezoidal drive...they sound like a machine gun. Fortunately, 5000 rpm x 2 = the max the Taig can handle anyway.

I am not really sure if it would just make more sense to stick with the bosch router for everything. It is kind of cool to control the Taig spindle servo using Mach3 and getting exact speeds...

Not too much left to do now. Bolt on the mill table plate, make 2 more motor cables, and make a mount for the Taig spindle servo motor. A vacuum cleaner/brush mount would be nice too.

Not a lot of progress the past couple of days while I am waiting on a bunch of Adept robot cables purchased via ebay which should make my wiring life easier (they have the correct end connectors for my robot modules). I can make the cables and get the connectors from digikey, but ebay was easier/cheaper.

While digging through my junk box I came across a 1/2" thick, 3.5" wide 30" long aluminum dovetail rail and a bunch of optical mounts for it. I seem to remember pulling it out of a junked dye laser several years back and tossing it in the "future use" box. The mounts are single and double length blocks made of annodized aluminum and are perfect for mounting practically anything. I used one to mount the bosch router to the gantry and I will use another to mount the taig spindle and brushless servo spindle motor. This will allow me to switch from Bosch router to Taig spindle in about 20 sec with no alignment issues. Also, I could use another section of the dovetail (I only used 5 inches of it on the z axis mount) to have a support on the table for the Taig spindle and make a lathe bit holder to fit on the dovetail mount of the z axis. Possibilities!

Here are some pics of the dovetail and mounted Bosch router:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dovetail.JPG   boschmnt.JPG  

Very nice ... Great idea , I wish my junk box was that well stocked ... I am working on it though... looking forward to seeing your machine cutting Kent

This is an awesome machine. Great work. Any updates lately? -Adam
    www.adambrunette.com - Converting My Harbor Freight X2 And My Jet Jvm-830 Knee Mill, As well as many other projects.

Tamagawa AC servo motor drivers

Nice machine.

I picked up a pair of Adept Linear slides (w/ the Tamagawa AC servos) a few years back. They've been sitting around waiting for me to finish "other projects". Almost free on the time front; but still stuck with regard to knowledge on how to drive the servo motors.

Just wondering if you would be kind enough to give details on what you used as drivers, and any problems you might have experienced with them.

Thanks.

Hey guys,

It has been awhile since I posted here. I still have not finished the fixed gantry because we have been doing some major renovations in our house. I just purchased four more Adept slides on ebay, new in the box for $200!!! so it has gotten me excited about finishing up this gantry so I can build something else with these new slides...lathe? :-)

I don't know why they go so cheap. They have dual linear rails with 4 carriages, a zero backlash 10 mm pitch ballscrew coupled to a 300 watt brushless motor, all in a precision dust proof aluminum housing. I chuckle a bit when I see rails by themselves going for more than these complete robot modules

I may build a dedicated laser cutter/engraver out of the new modules, since I have several compact CO2 lasers. I had planned on just making a bolt on module to this fixed gantry so I could change out the spindle for a laser + lens system, but there are disadvantages to that.

Anyway, expect some more pics and video soon.

Page 1 of 2 12