Ovation Engineering (http://www.ovationeng.com) has recently completed the development of our programmable I/O box. It could
typically be used in the integration of clamping fixtures, high
pressure coolant & parts washers, auto doors, and virtually most
devices that could be added to a machine tool after delivery.

The product is a small (approx. 3.5" X 5.5" ), single board
microprocessor featuring an LCD display and membrane keypad (for setup). Its PLC like functionality provides I/O expansion to existing CNC and personal computers without adding additional CNC hardware or software options (i.e., m-code expansion).

It features 14 outputs, configurable for either sourcing or sinking
(+24V or 0V activation), and 14 inputs which can also be set for
sourcing or sinking.

The outputs can be turned on and off by sending short ASCII commands out the serial port of the CNC or personal computer. The outputs can also be turned off automatically by the state of one or more inputs (fin signals), or by the expiration of a timer.

In the case of GE Fanuc, Haas, & Mazatrol controls, the Custom Macro "DPRINT" function is used to send ASCII characters which will in turn be interpreted by the I/O box to control the state of the outputs.

For example, the program block -
DPRINT[M01]
- might be used to turn on output number one. If the cancel code
assigned to output number one was "M02", then the block
DPRINT[M02]
- could be used to turn it off. Alternately the output might be set to turn on until the programmable timer (i.e 1.5 sec.) expires, or until an input is received on one or more of the 14 inputs.

Due to the constraints of the Fanuc serial port, the input status CAN NOT be monitored on the machine unless provisions are made to do so via the machine's ladder (i.e. Custom Macro inputs or external fin input.) If a single m-code and external fin are available on the machine, it could effectively be used to control up to 14 different outputs and inputs, as though there were actually 14 external m-codes.

In the case of Okuma controls, the User Task "PUT", "WRITE", and
"READ", "GET" functions can be used to send & receive ASCII characters to and from the I/O box to control and read the state of the I/O. Program operation is similar to that described above.

There are also diagnostic features that allow the user to force
outputs and read the status of inputs through the keypad and display.

We should be ready to ship units by March 29, 2004. Please contact us for more info or to discuss an application.

Thanks for your time,

Paul Sevin
Ovation Engineering, Inc.
http://www.ovationeng.com
ph 586-336-1590
fax 596-336-1589