Hello to all, we're in the process of searching a 4 axis horizontal machining centre. We're received an offer for an Akira-Seiki SH500 APC. However we don't have any experience of this manufacturer. Therefore I'm keen to have any feedback / opinions positive or negative from you guys out there in the machining community.

For background we're currently equipped with a Matsuura MAM700 which is coming to the end of its life, a Mori-Seiki NH5000 & a smaller 3 axis vertical KIRA. We're in the Aerospace sector & therefore don't run large batches, more small diverse runs of component parts predominately from aluminum. We do however machine some stainless steel & inconel. The latter being the finish machining of brazed & welded assemblies. Therefore we're not removing large quantities of material at high rates. The machines are running a 2 x 8 hour shift pattern.

Having searched Akira-Seiki on the net I came across this forum and was concerned by the comments particularly regarding more recently purchased machines with vibration & spindle problems. When comparing machines I'd noticed the weight difference between the Akira & its competitors (the weight has to be saved somewhere right). In addition some of you appear to be experiencing difficulty in contacting the company through the reps. Does this mean that getting hold of spare parts is also problematic?