588,347 active members*
5,636 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

40 taper spindle bargain (?)

Hi guys,
    I just bought myself most of a size 40 taper spindle with springloaded drawbar. I have no idea what I'll do with it yet but I simply couldn't help myself ;-)

I have no background on it and I don't know what type of pullstud it's supposed to work with. I was hoping it was an OTT-drawbar (so it could work with DIN2080 holders) but unfortunately it wasn't.... It's supposed to be "OK", looking at the taper it looks like it's never even been used and the bottom bearings turns smoothly and quietly.

I took a quick a look at it today and found that one of the bearings is a SKF 234421 BM1/UP. While looking up the data on the bearing I stumbled across Midland Bearings.com and saw the retail price - £2100 YIKES.....and that's for the Standard Precision model.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG0454.jpg   CIMG0455.JPG  

You lucky..!!!

In fact I might get a similar one myself along with quite a bit of tooling for my next project. What are you going to do with yours?

Heh, heh.

Very substantial piece of metal, eh?

Bearings go up rapidly as you get to the larger diameters. The better spindles situation the lower bearings very low for best leverage relative to the workload. But, this also means very big and hence very expensive bearings. I have seen other spindles let the toolholder protrude pretty far below the lower bearings allowing them to use cheaper bearings at the cost of performance.

Cheers,

BW

I have no idea yet what to do with it... It'll have to sit on the shelf for some time while I finish up the knee-mill conversion and a few other things, then we'll see....

Sometime in the future I would like to build a large(ish) VMC type machine but as it is now I don't have room for it. Besides even VMC's can be had quite cheap nowadays so I don't know.... It was just one of those deals I could let past me....

Hey, that's really nice - even if it is a while before you can use it, it's a nice piece of industrial art!

Build a VMC... Go on, you know you want to

Best regards,

Jason

H.O, I think your bearings are better than you think. I believe "/UP" in SKF's language is Ultra Precision. That's pretty much top of the line.

Dick Z
    DZASTR