587,974 active members*
4,677 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > 3D-CAM in Rhino
Page 1 of 2 12

3D-CAM in Rhino

Hello,
    Feel free to download and evaluate madCAM for 30 days. http://www.gvf.se/madcam/download.html

Thanks
    Joakim

Hi Joakim,

I would suggest that you open the post processor to output more than 200 lines. It's a time limited demo anyway, so why not let people actually cut some test blocks?

Just a suggestion.

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Dan this is one of those issues that is near and dear to my heart. I have already downloaded the software and it looks good. But now what am I gonna do with it? I don't cut molds but 3 dimensional parts and I can't determine if the program will actually work for me or not. I use a 4th axis for indexing and just one side of one of my parts may have 30-60,000 lines in it. 200 does me no good.

Joakim, are you listening? :idea:

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Hi

Yes I am listening and I agree with you, people should be able to cut some test blocks and that is possible. It is just to make a request for a temporary key and I will send a key that will open up the postprocessor for 21 days. I can also extend the trial period by sending new keys.

Thanks
    Joakim

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I will send the request later tonight.

Mike

I just wanted to post back here and let everyone know what great support Joakim offers. I have finally found the cam software for Rhino that I have been searching for.

Joakim thank you for the timed key and the help in gettint madcam to work for me.

Mike

a dumb RhinoCAM question

Ok, lets see if I'm beginning to understand the process a bit.

1) I generate the 3D rendering in Rhino3D
    2) I use RhinoCAM to generate rough, prefinish and finish tool paths and such.
    3) RhinoCAM generates g-code from the info I input.

now I assume that RhinoCAM then runs the tool (router) and I don't need anything else to interpret the g-code like Mach3.

Is the g-code generated by RhinoCAM simply STEP and DIRECTION commands that are compatable with any driver board or do I need to do something special with the code to make it compatable with a standard board (like xylotek, gecko or 3977SED based boards.

Thanks,
    Steven

sdantonio If you really are using Rhinocam you are in the wrong forum. Madcam is a totally different program than Rhinocam. Rhinocam is a product from Mecsoft that is basically VisualMill 5 basic.

If you have not tried Madcam....do yourself a favor and try it. I have found it to be the easiest cam package to use other than Meshcam and it is as easy to use as that package. The thing I really like about it is it is inside Rhino when you open your Rhino software.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by sdantonio
    now I assume that RhinoCAM then runs the tool (router) and I don't need anything else to interpret the g-code like Mach3.
    CAM software creates g-code. Mach3 interprets the gcode and sends step and direction signals to the drives. AFAIK, no CAM software will run a machine, you'll always need a machine control program, or interpreter, like Mach3, TurboCNC, or some of the more expensive options.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Gerry,

Thanks. So I need Rhino3d, RhinoCAM and Mach3 to complete the package. I was unsure whether I needed Mach3 with RhinoCAM.

Mike. Didn't realize that this was specifically for MadCAM. I just saw the Rhino3D - prog and design header and didn't look any further. I was also a bit pissed off when I posted so I didn't read the header all that carefully. I think I toasted a bunch of components I need to build my driver boards, so I wasn't very happy about that. And I had just gotten through with Xylotek support regarding their boards and they weren't able to give me a really good answer on the RihinoCAM question (at least not one that I understood, but I may also have been asking the question wrong too) so I grabbed the first Rhino3D design forum I saw and posted knowing someone who really knows his stuff, like Gerry, would be here to answer the question.

Mike, so it sounds like MadCAM functions like a Rhino pluggin? Which is what RhinoCAM is also supposed to do (I haven't loaded it up yet, but their documentation looks like it is pretty easy and direct to use).

I will have to check it out.

Thanks
    Steven

sdantonio to help answer you question to ger21.....you will need a 3d modeling program if you want to do 3 dimensional work. I of course recommend Rhino and I would suggest you get it before 4 comes out so you can upgrade at what I think will be a better price than if you wait to buy v4 when it is finished.

Beside the 3d modeling program you will need a cam program which is what Rhinocam and Madcam both are.

Mach3 is a controller program that sends step and direction signals to you boards so you can move your machine.

Now let me address the Rhinocam vs Madcam issue. Yes they are both plug-in's for Rhino. I have tried a whole list of cam programs from Meshcam to VisualMill 5, with several more in between those. Meshcam is the only program that I have tried that is as easy to use as Madcam. Joakim's list of helps for Madcam is not complete and the software is a lot more powerful than it may first appear.

I manufacture a line of competition rifle stocks and pistol grips, and with only a little help from Joakim I was producing useable g-code in minutes. I never got the opportunity to do that with most of the other programs other than Meshcam because the ability to save the gcode was inhibited. I simply ask for a timed key to try to learn Madcam and it was sent. I also have not run one single part using that key. My purpose was not to get free gcode but to have the ability to complely learn the process......which I am still doing. I hope to use it to run a piece or two before my timed key runs out but that is only to verify the end result, which is the carved piece.

Last....I wasn't ragging on you about the post being here. I just did it to blantantly bring attention to Madcam. I am totally sold on the software for my needs.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I will definitely consider MadCAM as I prograss with this whole project. Right now I have assess to RhinoCAM and Visual Mill 5, and I already do all my design work in Rhino3D. So I will probably try RhinoCAM first then give MadCAM a try. I'm a violin maker and, even though I have been carving these things by hand for years, as I get older my endurance is just not what it was 20 years ago. Hence the move to automation. In my case, once I get the g-code for an instrument that works well, I can stick with that same file for years. I assume in your case the stock (or grip) would change for each individual.

Would you consider someday putting together a tutorial on how you go about designing a stock in Rhino from scratch? Considering how fond I am of Rhino I always like to encourage people to write down their method for putting a model together.

I'm not sure that there is a great advantage to upgrading to Rhino 4 when it comes out. My understanding is that most of the changes effect it's 2D functionality more than any thing else, which would be great for making blueprints, but there aren't a whole lot of changes to it's 3D functionality.

I did look at the MadCAM site and it dose look very powerful and easy to use.

Steven

My only issue with MadCam is the price!
    Language can be a possible issue too, but that's a lot more workable than the price. I can't afford $640 US for it especially if I have to buy something else to do pockets .

Hi Steven,

I'm not sure that there is a great advantage to upgrading to Rhino 4 when it comes out. My understanding is that most of the changes effect it's 2D functionality more than any thing else, which would be great for making blueprints, but there aren't a whole lot of changes to it's 3D functionality.
    You are completely wrong on this. (I don't mean that disrespectfully )

V4 will add amazing 3D functionality. The UDT commands will allow you to manipulate solids in a way that no one else (to the best of my knowledge) can do right now. There is associativity between curves and surfaces, there are symmetry functions, the list goes on and on. And yes, there is enhanced 2D functionality too.

You should grab the V4 beta and try it out (if you own V3).

Dan

Hi Ed R,
    I would like to put your language concerns to rest. You will have absolutely no problems in that regard. Comunication is exellent. The program is in english so no worries. As to pockets, islands, drilling, surface engraving, pencil tracing , machining simulator plus many more, Madcam has it.

No I am not a salesman. I bought a copy over a year ago. (Before the best kept cam software secret got out)

Regards,
    Dave D

IT wasn't a very high concern, Dave.
    So MadCam is a Machine Simulator, it does pockets and islands and stuff too? And you say it's easy to use?
    Let's see... Meshcam/Cutviewer... $300, plus Sheetcam...$450...
    Are you telling me you go right from Rhino to simulation run to g-code?

Ed,

You would be well served with some 2 or 2 1/2 d program . For 3d, Madcam can do it all for 3 axis machining. Like any cam program you need to establish your tooling and tool strategies and post it to your machine. Joakim was very helpful fine tuning one of his existing posts for me.

I don't think you will need both Meshcam and Madcam.

Dave

I knew that MadCam would do what MeshCam would. I'm just wondering if MadCam can do what SheetCam can. Sounds like I'd still need it either way.
    How's the machining imulation in MadCam?

I like the simulator. The best way to see is work with the demo and see what you think.

Dan,

That's good to know. I have only heard about the 2D stuff they were adding. I was avoiding the Beta because I know other software manufacturers have put out beta products that had so many bugs it wasn't worth the trouble. But I also know the Rhino folks seem to do an excellent job with their programming. I might download it and give it a spin around the block. Thanks

Ed, Isn't the price the biggest drawback to almost everything?

Page 1 of 2 12