587,231 active members*
4,894 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smart cam ????????

our company is looking for new software for programing. I've used smart cam ver 11 for 5 years(it is extreamley out of date) just looking for another type that is up to date and isn't a big learning curve for me. I know a bit about mastercam but not enough and have been looking at onecnc but seems like alot so if anyone has any suggestions please help thanks in advance

New SmartCam

FYI…Did you know that SmartCam is now updating and they have made some improvements to keep up with everyone else. They still have a large user base that keeps them strong.

Independent CNC Programmer
    Home Page: http://www.ctcn.net/~3kings

look no further, check out WorkNC. once used never returned
    www.foregonesolutions.co.uk

Talking Sheet metal

Will it program my sheet metal equipment and build nests? Looks like a good machining package for dies. SmartCam may be a good solution for a shop that has a variety of equipment from a mill / lathe / punch / wire. You then only have to learn one CAM system to drive all machines.

Independent CNC Programmer
    www.ctcn,net/~3kings/

Of course WorkNC will program Mills, Wire EDM (2 & 4 Axis), create Electrodes, create 2D drawings, setup sheets, Spark EDM, Lathe, router & Laser (waterjet as well). don't forget also includes CAD. BUT at this time it will not nest or drive a press. It is not ony good at machining dies, but also 2D for punch work, models, rapid tooling, finishing castings, prototypes, Feature recognition for hole drilling and driving 5 axis machining centres like no other. marks out of 10/10 for effort & quality

I use Surfcam, and the 2d version is fairly simple and not very expensive. I use the 3d package for injection mold building, and it is quite abit more expensive.

Wink Mould building

Well if your business involves building molds (in the UK it is Moulds) you should be looking at Cimatron, IMHO there is no better solution, all the building blocks are built into the software. We recently did a demonstration and the customer gave us a file to look at we identifies 6 sliding cores and assembles the mould stack and shutouts in less than 1 hour. the list price is expensive but so is your time...:argue: