587,223 active members*
3,160 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

diy live tooling

i don't have the live tooling option on my sl30, but is there a way i can buy a live tooling holder and run it with a motor of my own? i really wish i had gotten the live tooling option...

Sure. You could get an air spindle and mount it in the turret, or buy the Haas drive..I think you could do it all for a couple of grand. The problem is that you cant orient the spindle to do anything.

People who buy non live tool lathes are crazy.

This crazy person thinks you can orient the spindle once you have paid for spindle orientation. The problem is that it just holds on the drive, there is no brake, so it is not very rigid.

I had the crazy idea one time of putting a disc brake at the end of the spindle on an adapter between the hydraulic actuater and its mounting flange. I think it could be done without pushing the actuater back more than about 0.3" which, with luck, would be within the operating range of the piston and drawtube so it would not be necessary to lengthen the drawtube or make a new nut in the chuck. This would allow you to orient the spindle and then lock it through one of the User M functions operating an air valve.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

App, you`re right and you`re wrong , anybody miss the live tooling and is crazy to not get this , and you`re wrong about the orienting spindle , you can orient the spindle at any angle and more , you can use G05 to move the Z and spindle same time , this has the only bug that Geof describe - the holding torque and rigid`y , I don`t know anythink about the XY interpolation.

Peter
    PS.
    i really wish i had gotten the live tooling option... tooo