587,328 active members*
3,346 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mt2 Collet Wrench for X-1 Mill

Mt2 Collet Wrench for X-1 Mill

I want to post how I installed ball screws in the X-1 micro mill but I'm not quite ready so I've got something here that I hope will be of interest. Also, I'm having a lot of problems posting pictures here from "Photo-Bucket", they seem to have changed things sense the last time I used the. I think I have it figured now out so here goes.

A year ago or so came up with a Quick Change Tooling system for the X-1 micro mill. See below photo:

I used the Tormach type of holders but using a .500 collet instead of the .750 they use. Here are a couple of drawings of the rig:

With this setup I needed to adjust the draw bar top length so it meets properly with the cam lever. That meant I needed to adjust the collet while it was in the spindle so I used an old computer case part but it didn't work very well:

I decided to make a M-2 collet wench, similar to the ones I see for 5c collets.

More to come:

Mt2 Collet Wrench for X-1 Mill #2

Here's a drawing of what I wanted to make:

I made the blank out of A-1 Drill Rod on my manual lathe:

I'll use the cnc X1 now to cut the wench part. Here is the path I plan to use for my g-code:

In this photo, I'm using an old fashion type edge finder to get the part set up:

Here's getting the Z-Axis set:

Now the mill's starting to cut the part:

Mt2 Collet Wrench for X-1 Mill #3

I ran into problems here. The 1/8" 2 flute HSS end mill was having problems cutting the Drill rod. I was making a lot of racket leaving a bad finish so I decided to change to another end mill. I don't like doing this but I was only half way down and the (used) HSS bit looked like it was going to brake. Anyway, I changed to a new 1/8" 3 flute carbide bit and continued to cut.

The new end mill worked great, I should have started the cut with it.

This is a photo of the finished part:

This is the two bits I used. The new carbide end mill is on the right:

I had to clean of the wire edges with little files and I put the 1/2" guide into the part. The collet wrench will only be used with a 1/2" collet, so the guide will make it easier to use.

Here is the wench part with a M2 collet:

I'll try to finish this up in the next post.

Mt2 Collet Wrench for X-1 Mill #4

Almost done. I made a handle for the wrench out of 1 inch "Acetal". I was going to harden the part made of drill rod but I don't think it will be necessary. I guess I find out later. I think I'll need to pin the part inside the handle so it won't spin. I'll do that later:

Here it is with a collet:

And here with the X-1 Mill spindle:

Very nice work Tex! Keep it coming.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Mt2 Collet Wrench for X-1 Mill #5

Thanks Hoss,
    I appreciate the kind words.

I finished up the little collet wench today.

I wanted to pin it so it wouldn't spin in the handle. As it turns out the length need to be a little shorter to have it fit into the tool holder box that goes with this mill. Also, I think it looks a bit better like this.

Well, that's it for now. I hope to start making another set of ball screws for the X1 next week. I'll write up and post my method of getting then installed. It was quite a chore but I have them in 2 mills and so far so good.

I hope you all have a happy holiday. --------- Tex Rubinowitz

Good work and nicely documented!

Rich