588,457 active members*
4,917 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

12Z versus 10Z

Can someone tell the differences between 10Z (from early 2006) and actual 12Z models?
    I've heard about improvements on head unit, head collar, hardened ways, etc.
    I'm going to buy an IH mill, but not sure to get a cheaper used one or pay more for a new.

i have one of each. ultimately the new ones are better than the old ones and depending on what the price difference it, the old one may be a bargain. ridgidity is much improved on the new one. and i hear the head and gears were redesigned for even tighter tolerances and quieter operation. also the ways are finished alot better on the new ones. not really a major issue if using it manually but definitely something you want if its cnc'd

I have the 10 inch model and would love to exchange it for the 12 inch but with the investment to help my 10 already spent ........ buy the 12" model and love it dearly ! When it comes to machinery don't try to save a buck or you will spend 3 to 1 bringing it up to snuff. if you want full cnc then don't skrimp just order the turnkey model and you won't be dissatified !
    Don
    IH v-3 early model owner

Thank you guys, I think I'll go for a new one. I plan to convert it to CNC, to the quality matters.
    thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by magyaria View Post
    Can someone tell the differences between 10Z (from early 2006) and actual 12Z models?
    I've heard about improvements on head unit, head collar, hardened ways, etc.
    I'm going to buy an IH mill, but not sure to get a cheaper used one or pay more for a new.
    I have yet to see a used IH mill for sale. IMHO once you own an IH even the wife and kids are at risk.
    «:::John:::»
    The Doctor that's Not