587,024 active members*
4,055 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Small Portable Machine

Sounds nice Jerry! If you could get the whole thing to run off 48vDC you could be Solar powered. I’ve flirted with the idea of a soar powered machine but you would need a battery bank and a solution for the spindle. Probably a pipe dream but the idea of being able to run a machine an hour or two a day far from civilization has its appeal.

Re: Small Portable Machine

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Sounds nice Jerry! If you could get the whole thing to run off 48vDC you could be Solar powered. I’ve flirted with the idea of a soar powered machine but you would need a battery bank and a solution for the spindle. Probably a pipe dream but the idea of being able to run a machine an hour or two a day far from civilization has its appeal.
    That can be done...Many Full Time RV folks have their roofs plastered with solar cells, serious batteries and with a 2-3 kW inverter you could easily run a cnc machine, at least with such a small 120V/800W spindle. Makes sense for long time boondocking.
    I am not there yet. If I would have to run anything off the grid I would just start the generator. But most campgrounds have ample electric power anyway.
    Box Joint and Dovetail CAM software here: WWW.TAILMAKER.NET