588,436 active members*
6,168 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Musical Instrument Design and Construction > Would anyone like to carve my guitar with their duplicarver?

Would anyone like to carve my guitar with their duplicarver?

Hi there. I saw your chats on the duplicarvers and PRS guitars and such. I was thinking about carving one of the cheap korean made PRS Santana SE guitars and carving it by hand so that it has the carved top like the high end PRS guitars. I don't know if you"ve seen them, but the cheap ones have the same shape as the PRS custom guitars except they have totaly flat tops. The only thing is, I don't have any wood carving experience. I was wondering if you would use you're duplicarver and the pattern you have to carve the top of my guitar? And if so, how much you would charge me for the service? I"ll strip the guitar's finish off, and take all the hardware off for you. I just want someone to carve it for me. And perhaps carve the neck a little. It has a "wide-fat" neck and a large heel. I would like the "wide thin" neck and a smaller heel, (but ti's not a major issue) I just can't afford a real PRS right now, i"d like to get some what of a copy i guess. Can anyone help? or know someone who could? I can send you a pic of what the guitar actually looks like if it would help. Email me. Thanx guys.

omardottcom

Making the domed shape on the top of the guitar would not be a problem but having to re-do the pockets for all your electronics will be. The holes for the knobs will have to be deepened from the back side and the pockets for th pick-ups will have to be filled to get them to the proper level. In addition I think the bridge will need to be changed the neck angle will need some attention.......hmmm this is sounding like a lot more work than I thought.

Is your neck a bolt on or is it glued in? There is a very logical reason I am asking this question!

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Thanx for your reply mike. I wouldn't think there would be so much that had to be done to it. It already has the pickup and electronics things in place. Why would it have to be redone?refilled and deepened from the back? Or the neck angle for that matter? I could understand if the case were that i were gluing a new top to it. Please explain if you have time. I'm not asking to be anal, I'm asking to be educated =) Thanx.To answer your question, it is a glued in neck.

Oh..! My bad, since I though you were planning to glue a new top on the one you have. If you are planning to just carve the top you have I don't think there will be enough wood to get a good shape. Having never seen one of the guitars, I'll have to wait for someone else to answer this one because I don't know.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

can send you pics if it'll help you get a better idea.

Hello omar,send me some pics of the guitar in all details and also measure the thickness of the top,thanks.

I was told that the original PRS is about 1.25" thick and the PRS SE is about 1.50" so I'm assumming carving it possible. Is it? It there sufficient wood for this?

A lot of those cheap prs copies have a transfer on the top surface - so its looks like the real thing .
    Drakkn Custom Shop http://www.drakkncustomshop.co.uk