So arfter 4 years of toying i finaly gave in and CNC, d my mill. Im running the Hobby CNC Pro 4 axis board with the 200 oz steppers at 3 amps, through 2 : 1 timing pulleys with 4 pitch Acme screws and im running into problems. First remember the title ....." Budget " is the word you,ve got to think about ! . Yep i know i should run ballscrews, bigger drives and direct drive motors but this is me just testing out CNC before i go the whole hog. Im not arfter a fast , NASA acurate machine just one to do 3D contouring within reasonable limits and repeat jobs on in alloy and plastics. When im done testing the board and motors will go on a wood router where there be more at home.

So ive come to the conclusion that the motors are just too small as im losing steps and the motors stall if i put just slight pressure on the handles. This is partly down to the fact that this mill has been used over 4 years and the dove slides are not in the best of shape. Ive seen some 425oz 4 amp motors on Evilbay but would running them at 3 amps give me enough power ? would there be any problems running them at less amps ?.
Im thinking the 425 oz motors would be good for when i upgrade later.
Ive learnt to hate this machine , the build quality is realy poor with not a square edge or threaded hole in alignment . New bearing blocks for the X axis will be the next job to hopfully help with the alignment and binding isues im having.
L8r all