588,270 active members*
11,607 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

2D Scan to 3D Image?

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right forum.

Well my DIY CNC Kit is on the way. I should have it shortly. It's a small 7x7 but it should work well. My question is: Is there a way to take a picture or a 2D Scan and make it a 3D Image? I run a small business dealing with coins and I would like make a nice wood sign with 6 inch coins all around it, but I want them to be 3D and not just the image etched into the wood. Is there a way I can take a scan of say a Morgan silver dollar and raise it up so that it has similar 3D proportions to the actual coin and then enlarge it to 6 in disc before have the CNC machine cut it?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by astainless View Post
    Hi,

Not sure if this is the right forum.

Well my DIY CNC Kit is on the way. I should have it shortly. It's a small 7x7 but it should work well. My question is: Is there a way to take a picture or a 2D Scan and make it a 3D Image? I run a small business dealing with coins and I would like make a nice wood sign with 6 inch coins all around it, but I want them to be 3D and not just the image etched into the wood. Is there a way I can take a scan of say a Morgan silver dollar and raise it up so that it has similar 3D proportions to the actual coin and then enlarge it to 6 in disc before have the CNC machine cut it?

link this and you will find what you need

www.vectric.com

Gene Crain
    www.plantasymaderas.com

BobART provides that functionality as well. You can see an example of what I have done here:

http://public.fotki.com/mcphill/mcpi...aus-engraving/

http://www.cnctoybox.org/store/page49.html
    great software and its a fraction of the cost of any other software out there , some examples of what i've been doing with it http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92608
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Excellent. I like the look of Aspire. Right now I just sunk most of my money into the CNC, Power supply and Driver. I really want a copy of Aspire. I already have AutoCad 2010 on the way and I plain on getting Aspire but right now I am broke. Anything free that can do it?

You guys are great. Thanks for all the help.

I had asked about this type of software on this forum but was told that no such software existed. I'm looking for a program that can take a drawing (see attached jpeg) and generate a 3D model that I can "print out/sculpt" on a CNC router to make the positive form for vac cu forming for cosplay and fanboy fun.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

I hear you. It is a shame that any of the good software is so expensive. I can understand paying for something like say Artcam and I would like to be able to afford a copy of it but the good version os $7000+ and the cheap one is $3000+. They would make more money of the price was lowered into the range of affordability for most people. If they charged $50 to $100 for the software they would sell 100000x as many copies because all the hobbyists would be able to afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by kakuma View Post
    I had asked about this type of software on this forum but was told that no such software existed. I'm looking for a program that can take a drawing (see attached jpeg) and generate a 3D model that I can "print out/sculpt" on a CNC router to make the positive form for vac cu forming for cosplay and fanboy fun.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.