587,762 active members*
3,349 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Polyurethane enamel

I’m looking for a good polyurethane enamel I can use to paint my shop equipment. I wanted to get Sherwin Williams Polane B Polyurethane Enamel but I can’t buy it with out some kind of handling license. So I’m interested in options and what others have to say about what’s out there. I’d like something that will last and be able to take some abuse.

Sherwin Williams Polane B Polyurethane Enamel PDF
    http://www2.sherwin-williams.com/che...ages/CC-D4.pdf

Have you looked at any of the epoxy paints, its been a few years since I used them, but at that time there was no control, easly available at the local hardware supply.
    Very durable I also used them for marine applications, where weather stress is a factor.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Epoxy paints sound like a really good way to go. I’ll see if I can pick some up. If it’s strong enough for fuel then its defiantly strong enough for cutter fluid and the like.

I’ve got a few home depot gift cards now.. should check to see if they carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRage
    I’m looking for a good polyurethane enamel I can use to paint my shop equipment. I wanted to get Sherwin Williams Polane B Polyurethane Enamel but I can’t buy it with out some kind of handling license. So I’m interested in options and what others have to say about what’s out there. I’d like something that will last and be able to take some abuse.

Sherwin Williams Polane B Polyurethane Enamel PDF
    http://www2.sherwin-williams.com/che...ages/CC-D4.pdf
    The ISOcyanate based paints are getting tough for the average guy to get. I suspect Dupont Imron and the like Ditzler products can only be obtained with a hazardous materials license. They do wear like Iron though, but are hazardous to use without proper protection.

I have used epoxy spray paints with good results, just have to prep then
    prime well first. but the paint is tough

imron can pretty much kill ya. the epoxy's aren't so bad but i'd be doing a lot of research on respirators before applying it. If I was doing a machine today, (now knowing how tough spinning stingy chips are on paint) I'd use imron, but drop it of at a body shop where they have the right safety stuff and have them spray it.

Its good that these materials are restricted, many years ago i walked out of the cash counter of an autobody supply place with all the stuff required to paint imron - was planning on doing it in the garage. I happened to mention this on a forum and was 'scared straight' by the shocked responses I got. The people at the auto body supply just assumed i knew what i was doing - since then i have taken responsibility for my own safety