587,076 active members*
3,094 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Small Portable Machine

Some progress...
    first video in motion with new integrated closed loop steppers and Planet-CNC controller board. Quite nice to program the steppers/drives via serial port and the motors will recover lost steps if that should happen. I had to reduce the drive current per motor to 2 amps running or 4 amps while accelerating to not exceed my power supply capability. But still pretty good with speeds up to 7000mm/min (280 ipm) and acceleration of 1000 mm/sec^2 (given the low lead screw pitch of 4mm). I think I will leave it at that for now, way more than fast enough for my purpose. But maybe I get a bigger PS with 60V and 12 amps sometimes....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h3lpyfltzg..._1224.MOV?dl=0
    Box Joint and Dovetail CAM software here: WWW.TAILMAKER.NET

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBurks View Post
    Some progress...
    first video in motion with new integrated closed loop steppers and Planet-CNC controller board. Quite nice to program the steppers/drives via serial port and the motors will recover lost steps if that should happen. I had to reduce the drive current per motor to 2 amps running or 4 amps while accelerating to not exceed my power supply capability. But still pretty good with speeds up to 7000mm/min (280 ipm) and acceleration of 1000 mm/sec^2 (given the low lead screw pitch of 4mm). I think I will leave it at that for now, way more than fast enough for my purpose. But maybe I get a bigger PS with 60V and 12 amps sometimes....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h3lpyfltzg..._1224.MOV?dl=0
    Cool little machine looks like you're going to not get board while traveling.

Re: Small Portable Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    Cool little machine looks like you're going to not get board while traveling.
    I hope not...
    One problem might be that may run into problems or project needs that I can not take care of with the limited tools and materials to take with me. But let's see. If I get stuck so what...I will just take the kayak and do something else.
    On the upside, I may be able to make some gadgets to mollify camping neighbors and get away with a little noise.
    Box Joint and Dovetail CAM software here: WWW.TAILMAKER.NET