587,719 active members*
3,397 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Moldmaking > Newbie help with molds for desktop injection molder

Newbie help with molds for desktop injection molder

Hello,

Frist I would like to say hi to everyone, As I just found this great site and I am very happy I did :-)

Now I am going to try and explain what exact help I need, I wanted to start my own little side business injection molding toy parts in hard ABS plastic. I have done things with rubber type molds with resan but wanted to take it to the next step were I can even supply maybe a cheap service to hobby people or inventors.

I was looking into things that can be used at home like Destop injection machines, Desktop cnc machines ect.. So what I want to do is have the ability to

Reverse engineer? Scan a part to create 3D cad data

Take my stl. files and use it to cut the mold

Create my own metal molds for injection molding

make like up to 100-2000 plastic parts

So can anyone please help me on how I can get the ball rolling? As also does anyone know if there is a service were I can get my 3D data set up to be mold ready were maybe if i had a machine to cut the molds i could input the files and away we go? or is there a software that can set up the molds so they mork for me? or anyone that can make small metal molds like this for cheap?

So I am not a expert but am trying to learn as my dream is to have a little factory were I can make a prototype,molds and the parts :-) . Thanks and take care.

William,

well in the past i built a gingery machine and used it with some success but not for parts to sell.

I recently purchased an emco 2/3 oz pnuematic injection molder, which is a bench top unit. I do have a CNC X3 mill as well as a couple lathes. So I would assume you would need at least a mill, cnc will make it easier unless you machining skills, then some type of bench top machine. Iasco-tesco.com sells them as one source where you can get into them for $1500 as well as injectionmolder.com too

Then I would assume you would need at least an X2 mill, Cnc'd to make your parts. So that means you also need a cad/cam software to draw and machine your parts (run the mill).

As far as reverse engineering I am not sure what you are trying to reverse so that is hard to comment. I would say rubber molding and liquid plastic but you have experience with that already. with these small bench top injection machines you could make a mold out of aluminum epoxy and run anywhere from 100-1000 parts per mold before they break down I am sure.
    www.kosracing.com

William,

First browse Amazon or some of the other tech book sites for info on mold making. There is a lot of basic info available to understand the process. Use your local library to get expensive books on loan from other libraries. Works great.

I have no idea of your ability with machining, CAD drafting, CAM and fixturing to name a few areas you will need to be proficient in.

CAD does not equal CAM. You may have a CAD part but that does not equate to the machining side at all. Most specific mold appications are add-ons to larger applications as far as I have seen. There are some applications available to perform factasic steps in reduction of time and effort but you will sacrifice large $$$$. A CAD model normally does not account for shrinkage of material, cold wells, draft for the parting line, establish the parting line, etc. All of that should be addressed when making the mold.
    Small machines mean smaller parts. Learn to estimate size capability by the volume of the injection machine. You also need to account for the runner. Figure out what is the largest part you can produce on a machine.
    You are going to have costs for milling machine, possible lathe, possible surface grinder, injection machine, air compressor, bandsaw, drill press, power supply and all comsumables to go with these. You will also have $$$$ for PC, CAD/CAM software, possible editor, possible virtual verifier (like Predator)....Cost of learning curve is not included here.
    I would look into it first to see what you really want to do and what is involved.