587,558 active members*
4,122 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Dwell Question

I was wondering if there's any way to program dwell in revolutions rather than in time - i.e. if I use a G04, can I say 2 revolutions of dwell, rather than having to compute how many seconds 2 revolutions of dwell is?

Thanks -

p.s. I'm using a Fanuc 16M...

I run siemens 840D (don't know about Fanuc) in 840D you can do this.

DWELL: G04 S10 causes a dwell for 10 revolutions of the spindle.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot...

Yeah i think you can use the S like switcher said on a fanuc, if not try G99 feed per rotation mode.
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

Tried the S - the controller didn't like it. I'd give the G99 a shot, but the ATC jammed up in the middle of a tool change, so I'm down and out for the rest of the afternoon...

Sounds like you need a BIGGER HAMMER
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson View Post
    Sounds like you need a BIGGER HAMMER
    lol - there are times when I wish I could...

Quote Originally Posted by mkaake View Post
    lol - there are times when I wish I could...
    DONT WE ALL!!!!!!! LOL

Check the manuals (if available) for the dwelling cycles. I know for Fanuc the G04 only sets the rotation & the "S" value sets the RPM. Look for a "P" or "D" value that sets a time. That or a count of rotations might work with a subroutine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L. MN View Post
    Check the manuals (if available) for the dwelling cycles. I know for Fanuc the G04 only sets the rotation & the "S" value sets the RPM. Look for a "P" or "D" value that sets a time. That or a count of rotations might work with a subroutine.
    Fanuc (at least the newer ones) use G4 X,P, or U

070328-1641 EST USA

mkaake:

Are you implying that you do not want the use a subroutine to calculate time from speed? Or do you lack math capability in your control?

If you have the Macro B option, you could use a macro to calculate the time required for n rev's based on current RPM.

The G04 code commands a dwell (delay) to the programme. An X, F or P code (some controls use different codes) programmed with G04 specifies the length of the dwell.
    Dwell time is either in seconds with G94 (feed / min) active or revs with G95 (feed /rev) active. In each of the examples below, the dwell has a value of one (1) rev or second.

N#### G00 G95 X100.0 Z5.0 - Move to cutting position
    N#### G04 G94 X1.0 - Dwell 1 second to stabilise spindle speed
    N#### G01 G95 X-2.4 F0.5 - Feed to position
    N#### G00 G95 X100.0 Z5.0 - Move to cutting position
    N#### G04 X10.0 - Dwell 10 revs to stabilise spindle speed
    N#### G01 X-2.4 F0.5 - Feed to position
    Many of the machine functions have interlocks built into them to stop the programme until the specific operation has been carried out, there are occasions however when this is not the case (e.g. steadies); if in doubt programme a short dwell to give the operation time to take place.

I guess I have it easy (Siemens), with just a simple "G04 S2"

Quote Originally Posted by gar View Post
    070328-1641 EST USA

mkaake:

Are you implying that you do not want the use a subroutine to calculate time from speed? Or do you lack math capability in your control?

Right. It might sound a little silly, but I need the program to be easily with a quick glance from engineering, to verify the proper amount of dwell at the end of the cutting cycle... and if it's in a subroutine, it's not as easy to see.

The math is easy enough to do, it just all comes down to the way we want to present it.

070329-0931 EST USA

mkaake:

Assuming that your machine can not do exactly what you want, then there needs to be more information on your precise needs and constraints.

Assuming you have MACROS and DPRNT. Then you can use a subroutine to do the math and output the information thru DPRNT, and a lot more information than you would otherwise have easily available.

For example: you could identify the program, part, point in the progam, rpm, revolutions of delay, the calculated delay time, peak spindle load, the date and time of day, and most anything else you want.

How does engineering interact with your program? Do they want the information before, during, or after the program is run? What kind of information do they want?

Read Spindle Load using DPRNT

Quote Originally Posted by gar View Post
    070329-0931 EST USA

mkaake:

Assuming you have MACROS and DPRNT. Then you can use a subroutine to do the math and output the information thru DPRNT, and a lot more information than you would otherwise have easily available.

For example: you could identify the program, part, point in the progam, rpm, revolutions of delay, the calculated delay time, peak spindle load, the date and time of day, and most anything else you want.

I am interested in this post, because he was looking for information on how to get the spindle load information from the CNC to the PC, one of solution is using the DPRNT command,
    would you give more information on how to read Load Spindle information using the DPRNT command? whether by reading the variable? and Which variables? or any other ideas?

regards
    Adhy s