587,997 active members*
1,921 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

FLA-200 Linear Bearings Pulling my hair out!

I am trying to get my Y gantry Aquare on the X rails of my fla-200. I must not be going about it in the proper manner. Every time I think I have it squared up, one side or the other is sloppy and out of square. Anyone done this successfully have any suggestions on how to do it?

Any and all comments would be appreciated.

David

I loosened the carriages that ride the x rails a bit...that is, the bolts that attach the carriages to the lower gantry. Then I backed up the gantry under power until it was at the x=o end of the table (I placed two equal sized blocks of MDF between the legs and where the gantry would hit). So with the gantry jammed against the MDF blocks, I figured the gantry was as square to the x axis as the table was square. Then I tightened the x axis carriages to the gantry. If you find you cannot get quite enough adjustment that way, you may have to loosen the fasteners holding your gantry together, and go through the same sequence.

Angie

Still with the bearings

Did you get all of your bearings rolling at the same time. I can get either the top ones or the bottom ones, but not all 4 of them at the same time. I have figured out how to get them fairly square, but I am feeling a lot of resistance when I move the gantry back and forth. Are the adjustable one on the top or the bottom?

David

Nate Feel free to chime in here at any time!

My adjustable bearings are on the top. I also find it difficult to keep all the bearings in contact with the 1/4 steel ways.

My adjusters are on the top as well. All my bearings move when the axis moves, I check every week or so.

Bearings tight, no slop

But, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you take a snapshot of your Z axis in reference to your table and Y gantry. I am not sure how to position it.

David

I have an FLA-300, and had a real hard time with this.

What worked for me was doing the best job I could getting the mechanics square, and then using Mach to finish the job. Your 200 has dual Y drives, right? Put separate homing switches on each side, and adjust them to get the X square to Y (find the corner points and measure the diagonals).

No more hair pulling

It seems that Harbor Freight has these wonderfully long squeeze clamps, worked perfectly. All bearings are rolling, no play in any of the Axixs, just ran the maiden cut, and it went perfectly

please give pic or link to them
    Quote Originally Posted by crash5050 View Post
    It seems that Harbor Freight has these wonderfully long squeeze clamps, worked perfectly. All bearings are rolling, no play in any of the Axixs, just ran the maiden cut, and it went perfectly