587,541 active members*
7,127 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > What's the best saw to cut Steel and Aluminum?

Question What's the best saw to cut Steel and Aluminum?

So, I'm a bit of a newbie, and I'd like some advice as to which saw I should purchase. I will be cutting aluminum tube (3/4" diam, 1/16" wall), steel tube (3/4" diam, 1/16" wall), solid steel rod (5/8" diam), and steel plate (22 gauge). Some of these pieces will have to be cut at angles.

That said, what saw should I buy?

I've done research myself and I've considered:

-A multicutter, like the Dewalt DW872

-A dry cut (cold cut) saw like Evolution (maybe the Raptor model?) makes

-Abrasive chop saw (I don't like these too much, as I prefer to have a smooth cut that the dry cut saws produce without a lot of sparks and dust)

-Putting a carbide blade meant for ferrous material on my Craftsman miter saw that spins at 5500 rpm (How many cuts do you think I could produce with this? I realize that I should be at a lower RPM for the carbide blades in steel, but I only need about 1000 cuts to get a good start with what I'm making)

-Putting an abrasive blade on my miter saw (I really don't like all the sparks, the mess from the abrasive blade dust, and the unclean edge left on the material. I also can't use this blade on the aluminum tubing.)

-Band saw (Doesn't cut as accurately, leaves a bad edge, and it's slow)

-Lathe (I need to cut at angles, and the lathe I have access to won't do this. Also, I found this method a little slow)

In the end, I lean toward purchasing a multicutter, like the Dewalt DW872, or a dry cut saw from Evolution. Perhaps, though, since I intend to make only 1000 cuts, I can get by with a carbide blade (maybe one from Diablo) on my miter saw? The problem I see with this is the ability to make continued cuts on the solid steel rod.

PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME!!! Thanks MUCH!

http://www.mkmorse.com/ has the BEST steel cutting blades (Metal Devil) I have ever used, on a chop saw, no sparks, nearly no burr, no problem.
    Go to the link, watch the videos and get one.