588,045 active members*
3,974 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cool Homemade CNC Router table update

Some of you may remember I posted some pictures and a short video of a CNC table I built. I have put a couple more simple videos on You Tube if you are interested. I have purchased a program called V-Carve from Vetric for $500 and a 2080 piece clip art collection for an additional $100 when purchased with the program. This program is
    amazing! I can design parts, enter text, choice of many different fonts, import clip art such as animals, trees, designs, different occupation logos, etc and you can incorporate this all into your sign. It has a preview feature which shows the cutting operation in whatever type of wood or material, two or three dimentional which can be saved and printed, or emailed to a prospective customer so they may view it in a realistic mode
    without ever turning on the machine. Too Cool! :banana:

My videos are relatively short because You Tube has a max of 100MB which limits me to about 4 - 5 minutes. I am taking these videos with a still digital camera in the movie mode so I can't really edit (start, stop etc). I have been experimenting making signs, plaques and engravings in various materials. It has so many possibilities it is difficult to describe what all it can do. I have yet to hook up my plasma cutter because there is so much yet to do in the router plus when you are playing, MDF if a lot cheaper than steel.

My lates video is at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCLdQtIm32I

My wife set up a Myspace page to show my different videos, etc. Http://myspace.com/monteleone55

Just wondering but with my gantry (similar to yours with the rod) I was wondering how you deal with the flex (I was seeing) when the tool is out in the middle of the gantry) Before I got my thompson support pieces in there the flex of the 2 bars would have been to much. (Now don't get much if any flex in the middle.

Cool Video. And Vcarve is the best thing ever.

b.

Nice Video! Nothing to apologize for there. The sign looks good too.

I wonder who started the idea of using two tubes, or bars as ways for a machine? Works fine on REAL short spans, but a bar 48" long, sags all on its own, nevermind hanging a router, stepper and other assorted things on them.

On the OTHER hand, if the machine produces parts that are good enough for their purpose, sure makes it a lot easier to build a machine.

I also have about .030 "sag in the middle when the router is midway. My rails are 59" long on all axis. X has open bearings with supports...no problem there.
    I just got 4 new open bearings off E Bay last week delivered for $66 and are in cast housings. Good deal. They are just like the ones on my gantry but open. Now I can add a plate across the back and support the rails. If you're routering and cutting 1/4" deep........ .030 is not that bad. So far it's been smaller stuff done at the end of the gantry and it's not a problem.

Thanks for the nice comments guys