588,510 active members*
5,509 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Cutting fluid

Hey everyone,
    I just purchased a Haas VM2, and am doing some shopping for cutting fluid right now. I am pretty new to the selection of cutting fluid, so I could use some input from some fellow haas users.

I want something that wont cause too much skin irritation, and will be relatively low maintenence.

I have done some reading up on various cutting fluids and have had some reccomendations, but am still shopping for more input. I am not too familiar with some of the names, but at my last job, we used this milky blueish fluid, and now at Caterpillar we use this clear fluid. I was also reccomended to use Castrol Syntilo 9926. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
    Albert

Try Trim.

trim?

I am leaning strongly towards the hangsterfers S500 right now. Any input as to chlorine vs non chlorinated?

personally I like Valenite VNT700 ( with the blue dye )... it stays non stinky for a really long time

Cool Coolant

We use Blaser Swisslube Blasocut 2000. Been using it for about 5 years. We put in our bed mills, lathes and Fogbusters. Excellent product, no skin irritation yet(10 employees). Lasts a long time with no smell. Milky blue brown color. Mixes with water. Fanastic product. We went through 7 others before we found this.

The Valcool is good stuff too.I wanted to try the Hangsterfers but i've read a few posts that say it foams like crazy.

I have been using Kleen-Kool 777 for about 7 years now. I just cant find a downside. Easy to mix, no skin irritation, never grows anything. I tap a lot of #6,8,10 screws in alum...no problem.

http://www.doallsawing.com/cutting_f...hetic%20Fluids

USE THE CASTROL

I use Syntilo 9954 and switched from Hangsterfers s500. The result was much less coolant maintainence, little or no coolant "rot", MUCH less smell, better part finishes, easier cleanup and at least with me, no skin problems. Just use de ionized/ de mineralized water. Water run thru one of those carwash filters works great. All the minerals that cause spots on your car are removed. If keep adding just tap water to replace water from evap you eventually will have the water hardness in your coolant go through the roof and crap will start building up all thru the machine.

Blaser Swisslube 4000 strong.

We tried countless others and this is the favorite.

I'm with Surfacefeet, I've always had good results with Trim products. The have a product for about any condition. Water varies all over the place.
    DZASTR

cutting fluid

Take a look at Trimsol E206
    It works for almost any type of cutting.
    It's a "green" product, you can pour it down a sewer drain
    It's non toxic you could drink the stuff without getting killed.
    And you can mix it to different consentrations for different types of work.
    thin for alu. and plastic, thicker for high pressure cuts like SS and tool steels.
    And very few problems with smelly coolent. sorry about the spelling

thanks for the replies guys, I ended up going with the Hangsterfers S500. Good results so far, but I claim to be no expert, and my experience with other coolants is slim to nil. No skin rashes, easy to maintain, has that "I'm printing money" smell

Smells more like play-doh to me

I am suppriesed no one has metioned Houghton coolants. I am useing the 767 fully syntetic right now and am very satisfied with it, no smell or iritation at all. A lot of places I know are using the Houghton 797 and are very happy with it, but I needed a fully synthetic.

Oh well to each his own
    Live free or die

We use Cutzol WS-5050 in our mills. Its a sky blue milky color. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this stuff, are we the only ones using it??

It seems to work good for us and needs little maintenance.

John

I may be a little late here, but, I used S500cf in my four machines for about 6 months. Foamed like the dickens. I tried all the defoamers they threw at me. Still foamed. Three of my machines have high pressure pumps and those were the machines that foamed. The Hangsterfers rep switched me over to Neo Sol 300 and all has been fine ever since.