587,999 active members*
1,957 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach Auto draw bar & R8 tooling?

Tormach Auto draw bar & R8 tooling?

Hello,

I am working with a Tormach that has a TTS with the auto drawbar and all the existing tooling for it is setup for the TTS but I am looking to use some facemills.

I am wondering if there is any easy way of using R8 tooling in this or if I have to go through the whole process of removing the auto drawbar and removing the TTS setup.

I looked at the TTS facemill but was leaning towards the Glacern FM45 series after reading so many good things about it. My current applications for it are relatively small parts needing surfacing (plates ~ 80mmx 120mm).

I'm very new to CNC and machining in general so I apologize for my newbie question.

Thank you,

Aaron

The draw bar swings away on its pivot mount so you can simply un-thread the TTS collet and replace it with a standard R8 tool. No need to remove anything but the TTS collet from the bottom of the spindle. You can then just thread it on and pivot the draw bar back. Of course the draw bar won't do anything with that tool, but the change over from TTS to standard and back is an easy operation. Leave everything in place.

I have taken to performing most of my steel roughing operations with R8 setscrew holders that I swap out instead of the TTS collet. When I take out the TTS collet, I also remove the belleville spring washers from the drawbar, and replace them with a solid bushing of equivalent length. This seems to help considerably with performance while making heavier cuts. I'm always glad to switch back to the TTS for the convenience, though.

Thank you for your replies. I see now what I have to swap out.

I have been reading contradicting points on whether or not I need to swap out the TTS system when using a face mill.

The rigidity factor is something I don't have experience with and so I am not sure which tool I should go for.

My work pieces are aluminium and I could go with either a R8 facemill or a facemill adapted to the TTS. I understand that the side forces create rigidity issues and as such I'm not quite sure which route I should go in getting my face mill.

I haven't had any problems running face mills in steel or aluminum with TTS and my power drawbar so far. Most of my TTS problems happen in steel with moderate-to-large depth of cuts while profile milling at a width of cut less than the tool radius. Then I get pullout, but otherwise I can put on some horsepower with an insert facemill using TTS+PDB without any pullout problems. I would get a TTS facemill, if I were you. My favorite facemill is the K-Tool octagonal-insert model that Tormach used to sell. My original batch of inserts are still going strong, and I really push this cutter. I also like the m100dex APKT-series of facemills, in particular a nice 1.25" 5-flute with 3/4" straight shaft that I converted to TTS. It makes beautiful right-angled cuts with low power. The insert facemills that Tormach is selling now also look pretty sweet. In short, many non-R8 options for facemills exist that let you preserve the goodness of TTS and the PDB. When putting some horsepower into roughing out steel with a large DOC on an endmill, swap to an R8 setscrew holder and it'll be smoother.

For what it is worth, I am running a Shars 2 1/2" 45 degree Face Mill (SEHT) held in a 3/4" R-8 collet (3/4" strait arbor), that I cut short to fit a future TTS collet. I have been cutting .0625 deep, full width cuts in 6061 on a RF-45 mill with no issues at all. The Tormach should be fairly close in performance.

Quote Originally Posted by mooreaa View Post
    Hello,

I am working with a Tormach that has a TTS with the auto drawbar and all the existing tooling for it is setup for the TTS but I am looking to use some facemills.

I am wondering if there is any easy way of using R8 tooling in this or if I have to go through the whole process of removing the auto drawbar and removing the TTS setup.

I looked at the TTS facemill but was leaning towards the Glacern FM45 series after reading so many good things about it. My current applications for it are relatively small parts needing surfacing (plates ~ 80mmx 120mm).

I'm very new to CNC and machining in general so I apologize for my newbie question.

Thank you,

Aaron
    Tormach offers a shell mill atapter that will hols your facing mill. However, the facemill offered by Tormach appears to me to be a little on the small side. There is a 2 inch cutter called a Shear Hog from AB Tools that will leave a beautiful finish.

I have been using AB tools for about 10 years and when it comes to needing a good finish on the face of an aluminum part, I will use nothing else. The 2 inch shell mill has a 1/2 inch center hols and 3 inserts. It is a little on the pricey side at $350.00, but it comes with 3 inserts. If it's a good finish on aliminum you are looking for, then you need look no farther.

Steve