587,236 active members*
3,558 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Auto Lubricator for Tormach

Just thought you guys might be interested in a modification I made to my PCNC 1100. If any of you are like me... my memory to pull the factory lubricator handle is sporadic at best so I wanted something I didn't have to worry about.

The automatic lubricator I added is a Bijur Delimon (TM-5). It has a 1 gal. reservoir, and is fully adjustable for discharge volume.

I didn't want the lubricator operating unless the machine was moving so my initial thought was to tie it into the spindle drive relay (the lubricator is powered by 115 VAC) but found that once the drive powers up it stays powered up until an "E" stop or the spindle door is open. That means that the lubricator could be providing lube even when the machine was sitting idle.

By adding a 24 volt solid state relay to the spindle "enable" signal (just to the left of the spindle braking resistor in the photo) the lubricator now operates only when the spindle is operating and the machine is in motion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1000324~s.jpg   P1000334~s.jpg  

Relay

Super Ideal! What brand of relay and model number did you use?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by saabaero View Post
    Just thought you guys might be interested in a modification I made to my PCNC 1100. If any of you are like me... my memory to pull the factory lubricator handle is sporadic at best so I wanted something I didn't have to worry about.

The automatic lubricator I added is a Bijur Delimon (TM-5). It has a 1 gal. reservoir, and is fully adjustable for discharge volume.

I didn't want the lubricator operating unless the machine was moving so my initial thought was to tie it into the spindle drive relay (the lubricator is powered by 115 VAC) but found that once the drive powers up it stays powered up until an "E" stop or the spindle door is open. That means that the lubricator could be providing lube even when the machine was sitting idle.

By adding a 24 volt solid state relay to the spindle "enable" signal (just to the left of the spindle braking resistor in the photo) the lubricator now operates only when the spindle is operating and the machine is in motion.

That looks good. Is it a mechanical pump or does it need compressed air?

edit: Ah, never mind, I found a datasheet

Randy

saabaero -

What volume and cycle time do you use? This looks interesting, but I'm still trying to get past my pronunciation of the name, "Buyer de Lemon."

Can you give us a rough cost?

The spec. sheet that Randy found says a 1-liter reservoir, not one gallon, but either way, that's a lot of lube. If I didn't have to pull the handle, I'd forget to check the level, so I'd also need an automatic reservoir filler!

Regards,

- Just Gary

The solid state relay I used is a Potter & Brumfield 25amp @ 240vac Output (actually overkill) with a 3-32 VDC input (EOM-1DA74-3/32)

I have no idea what the cost of the lubricator is. I got this one from work. They had just put it on new about a week prior to deciding to scrap the CNC. I wasn't going to let it go to the scrap yard with the machine.

As far as forgetting to fill it... It has a liquid level switch built in that can light a light or set off a beeper.

The spec sheet I have list two models - 1 liter or 1 gallon reservoir. I bought a gallon of synthetic lube that is not supposed to contaminate the coolant and poured almost the whole thing in with some air space at the top.

The cycle time on this model is 5.3 minutes and is variable from 2.5 to 5.0 cc (10 to 25 lube points). I have it set near the minimum.

BTW - You can manually actuate it also by pulling up on the sliver knob.

I don't really have an issue of lubricating the PCNC with the stock manual oiler, but if Bijur made an ATC for the Tormach...

Bijur Lube pump

The cost of the Bijur Lube pump is almost $600 new from a distributor. I bought one brand new on eBay for under $200.

Quote Originally Posted by PinMachTool View Post
    The cost of the Bijur Lube pump is almost $600 new from a distributor. I bought one brand new on eBay for under $200.
    What model is it and does it have the low level sensor? Was it just a random one for sale or do they normally sell them?

It's great having one less thing to do every couple of hours.

Auto Lube

It was a Bijur Delimon (TM-5) with out the low level sensor. There were several of them on ebay at the time along with other brands.