588,357 active members*
7,448 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DRO on INdustrial Hobbies mill?

Has any mounted scales or a dro on the IND. Hobbies mill. I am not sure how to do the y axis.
    Randy

Dro

I mounted chicom scales on my Wholesale Tool square column mill similar to that shown in the following link. I used a three axis LED display box from Little Machine Shop wired to the scales.

http://www.finelinehair.com/home/DRO_Mill.htm

Its been rock solid for me

yeah i've done mine, i'll snap some pics and post them later tonight.

Ghetto DRO here:

http://www.thewarfields.com/cnccookbook/MTMillDRO.htm

I did X and the Z-quill. Didn't bother on Y. I'll be going CNC before too much longer. It's been handy though!

Best,

BW

I have had a Schumatech DRO for some time and invested in Jenix scales for X and Y. I was trying to figure out Mounting. It will be awile before I can cnc it.
    Thanks
    Randy

DRO Kit for IH Mill

I build and sell DRO kits for the IH and other mill/drills. Pictures shown are on a standard RF45 that now has an IH CNC kit on it as well. A tough, accurate easy to use DRO system. Capable of offsets, angles and curves PC interface capable with Sealed Glass Scales.

http://i21.ebayimg.com/03/i/06/ed/ab/c2_1_sbl.JPG
    http://i15.ebayimg.com/03/i/06/ef/b9/55_1_sbl.JPG
    http://i7.ebayimg.com/02/i/06/f1/1a/09_1_sbl.JPG
    Ken
    Kenneth A. Emmert
    SMW Precision LLC
    Spokane, WA
    866-533-9016 Toll Free

mount the reader head to the base instead

I actually mounted the scale to the yoke by way of a horizontal F shaped transition plate and mounted the reader head to the base by way of a small adjustable plate. The actual stroke of the Y axis is not much more than the width of the table itself.. I always use a chip guard to cover the scales in this case aluminum angle.

I looked at SMW site, I was actually able to mount the X axis scale on the column side of the table because with my mill there is wasted space between the mill column and the most extreme position of the table this left the stops available for the power feed unit

Hope this helps.

I looked at SMW site, I was actually able to mount the X axis scale on the column side of the table because with my mill there is wasted space between the mill column and the most extreme position of the table this left the stops available for the power feed unit

Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

For most Mill/Drills table moves clear to the column. Which is why the front mount is done, other wise you lose Y-axis travel. A backside mount is the prefered choice if there is space. Standard mounting point for knee mills.
    Ken
    Kenneth A. Emmert
    SMW Precision LLC
    Spokane, WA
    866-533-9016 Toll Free

i covered my front mounted scale with 1/8 x 1/8 angle iron 1.5" wide and 48" long. that covered the entire scale lenght and prevents chips from getting on it and damage from inadvertantly hitting it.

Exclamation SMW DRO special at IH online store.

Appears Gene struck a deal to carry the SMW DRO.

Nice. I want one... or so I think.

Problem is - Neither site has any actual pics of an IH mill with the DRO installed. Went to the SMW site, its "Spartan" at this point, very much under construction. IH put up some bold text, and added items to the online store, but no details.

I'm going to have to pass for now, as this reminds me of getting a mail order bride... Never know what will show up.

You caught me cutting Z-axis installation brackets for the IH DRO kit today. Gene and I have gotten together to do a few things that have never been done before. DRO kit is exactly designed for the IH mill and will be truly drop-in with a great appearance. Total 3-axis installation will require only 5 holes user drilled holes with all of them templated. With only 2 these being new fastening points, located under the Table.
    I know nobody cares about the installation kit; until you try to install a scale set on a mill/drill. DRO system themselves are extremely high quality with High Precision sealed Glass Scales. Supporting a major array of single point milling features; capable of doing about any offset, angle or curve. A Large 200 point SDM memory also makes these units production friendly. DRO units are well designed for the milling enviroment; Tough, Accurate and Easy to Use.
    We should be ready to start shipping DRO units in about 2 weeks. There's more to getting DRO system ready than you might expect. Pictures, installation and operation manuals will all be specific to the IH mill. Along with fabrication and production of installation kits. Gene is working on the site and hopefully will get the full information up in the near future. They also moved the shop last week and I am amazed they got as much done as they have in the last week.
    Ken
    Kenneth A. Emmert
    SMW Precision LLC
    Spokane, WA
    866-533-9016 Toll Free

Wink Its too damn easy to spend money on the internet - I just bought one.

OK

I just got off a long call With Gene @ IH.

I've been sold.

He forwarded to me serveral items which will get put up on the IH website. I was told I can share these before they go prime time. Gene and company are very busy making PRODUCT verses playing on the web bragging about things to come. When Gene says its ready for sale you can count on it shipping soon (as in next business day)(FEDX and UPS don't work as many hours as Gene does...)

First off - the DRO kits are bundled with the power feed. The mounts are spaced out around the glasss scales to mount the limit switchs for the power feed. Remember this when you consider the prices, because he is nearly giving away that power feed unit.

As Ken said above these unit mounts are tailor made to fit the IH mills so final fit and function will be as perfect as possible.

Note: Pics of the power feed unit can be seen on the IH website under "Mill Tips", just scroll all the way down to the bottom and follow the "Install Power Feed Part1 & Part 2" links.

I can't POST the HTML file, but here is some of the rest. Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2M_Diagram.jpg   3M_Milling.jpg   3M_Diagram.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Newbie, my first post to CNCzone.

I have a Lathemaster mill that I once mounted a Shumate DRO-350 and linear capacitive scales on. After a year it started having glitch resets when the power feed was operated. I couldn't correct it with all of the usual suggestions so I installed a Grizzly Industrial glass scale DRO early last year. I mounted the x-axis scale on the rear of the table. The worst mounting situation was the left side sloped face of the base casting where I mounted the y-axis scale. There's probably a better way to do it than I devised.

I just added a standard 150in/lb power feed to the gear head lift that some of you might be interested in. More on that in a new thread later.

CarveOne