587,267 active members*
3,966 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Need help finding these inserts

Need help finding these inserts

Need help finding the inserts for this thing. You can see that there are a couple of them that are broke (Newbie Mistakes) They are 1/2" Square and about 1 1/2" Long. They appear to have a carbide tip on them. Would prefer to find some already ground as my grinder is worthless. If not, I can always use this as an excuse to the wife to need a new grinder.

By the way, what is this proper name for this thing?

Thanks

Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IM000141.JPG  
    Check out what I am working on at www.routerbitz.com!

Hack,

That is a "Shell" mill..those look like lathe tool bits..any supply house..or Enco, MSC, KB, Travers, or the like...you can get them with different lead angles...
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

What is that called, ancient. We have a couple of those kicking around the shop, I don't think they are exactly the same, but as far as I know they have never been used as long as I've been there, e'mail me if your interested. I would suggest going to something a little more "modern". There are so many better indexable cutters out there, its really hard to grasp what geomety and shape can do until you see it for yourself.

I have one of those (maybe its 4) but owell they were inherited with my bench top mill and I just replace the grindable carbide with the mini indexable carbide tipped lathe tooling you can buy from almost anywhere

I think even Fubar frieght has them, but not sure.

Michael T.

Hi you will need a green carbide grinding wheel or diamond wheel to be able to grind
    it properly Yes lathe cutting tools will work fine you will have to cut them shorter
    as the 1/2" square will be about 3" long, You have 4 cutters in that holder, Try it
    with 1 it will then be like a flycutter, and grind some rake on the top of the cutter.
    You can also use HSS cutters which are easer to grind than the carbide tip cutter