588,397 active members*
4,527 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > SolidCAM & Solidworks vs. MasterCAM
Page 1 of 2 12

SolidCAM & Solidworks vs. MasterCAM

I know this is probably going to result in the CNC equivalent of a Chevy vs. Ford or Macintosh vs. PC debate, but I've got to ask.

I use solidworks exclusively to design my parts, assemblies, and do FEA & flow testing. I have up until now used MasterCAM to get my solidworks parts run on a HAAS VF-0 VMC. This run-around is more than a hassle, as every time I want to change my design, I get to re-do all of the CAM work. Additionally, I absolutely HATE the interface of MC9.1 and although I know that the new X version is a lot more friendly, I am reluctant to switch from SolidWorks.

I am planning on upgrading from SolidWorks student edition to the new 2006 version, and I have an opportunity to get a screamin deal on the program if I purchase it through the proprietors of SolidCAM. I have a demo version of SolidCAM and I really like the interface and connectivity with my cad package of choice (Solidworks).

Now, here's the dilemma. Without having any experience with SolidCAM outside of my PC and over on the VMC, I do not have much of an idea of how accurate it is and/or its capabilities vs. MasterCAM.

Any real world knowledge would be helpful here. I'm probably going to start with the 2.5 Axis VM package of SolidCAM and work up to the 3 Axis package. If anyone has had any problems with SolidCAM I would like to hear about them so I know what I'm getting into.

Thanks for your time.

Jason Griffith
    Griffith Coachworks

Jason
    My SW reseller pushes EdgeCam, how does SolidCam compare in features?
    SolidCam about the same money?
    I am unsure how I will progress my company in the CAM area and all info is good.
    I definately won't be dropping SolidWorks though ;-)
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Well, the website is www.SolidCam.com

I'll have to check out edgecam. I know the guys at SolidCam will give you a fully operational demo minus post capabilities.

Price for 2.5 axis mill + full solidworks 2006 is around $6500.

jason

just looking over the edgecam website and the videos they are showing to display their product tagged onto solidworks are using a copy of solidworks that is 5 years old.

jason

EdgeCam is not specific to SW it has integrators for every major MCAD program. I would imagine that the video "dating" is irrelevant. I did notice they have a 30 day demo available.
    I don't know anything about the product really, just that my reseller pushes it as the integrated CAM for SW.
    I cuurently use VisualMill 5, which I got very reasonably, I am iffy on whether it is good and it has zero integration with SW. Like I said I got it dirt cheap and it does a LOT for the money, although it has tripled in price since then.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Hello griffithbuilt,
    I am a SolidWorks SolidCAM user in germany. I understand your reasons for changing to SolidCAM. The full-CAD-integration is just one point for a good CAD CAM solution. I like the interface, too. I think it is very easy to use. But the main topic for us: we get very good NC programs from the system and it helps the programmer by doing his job very well.

If you have more detailed questions: ask me.

Thorsten

I have done some research on solidcam and did an online demo with the sales rep and really liked the software. Another user said they think its one of the best cam packages and from what I have seen, I could agree with him. It is a very simple program, you can create toolpath, change a drawing, then just tell it to fix your tool path and its ready to go.

Give your sales rep a call and they can set up an online demo.

Jon

Take A Look At Teksoft Cam Works It Works With Soldworks

Griffithbuilt,

Did you purchase SolidCam? Are you happy with it?

Thanks,
    James

We have Solidworks and got Featurecam as a recommendation from Our Solidworks reseller. We looked at Solid Cam for the benefits but the Programmers went back to our old ProE and ProManufacture licenses. You may want to compare prices they really got competitive with Solidworks. I'm not real pleased with the modelling capabilities of Solidworks for molds, castings etc.

I Use Edgecam And Solidworks--the Cam Software Works Great With Solidworks Models And Edgecam Also Gives You A Cad Link Witch Means You Open Edgecam,and Insert The Model With 1 Click.
    And With The Assosiativity Between The 2 Systems ,you Can Make Changes To The Model And Edgecam Will Recognize The Change And Prompt You For A Reload --if You Click Yes It Reloads The Model And Alters The Toolpaths Accordingly.so Edits Are Easy ---

The Solidcam Deal Is Still Kinda New So Im Waiting Until They Get All The Initial Kinks Worked Out To "take It Seriously"

I Agree With Griffith -- I Hate The Mastercam Interface --in Fact I Hate Mastercam Period ---

E

[/quote]

Do yourself a favour and scrap mastercam and switch to virtual gibbs. It's much more user friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by gibbsman
    Do yourself a favour and scrap mastercam and switch to virtual gibbs. It's much more user friendly.
    With user-friendlyness comes lack of ability/control. Gibbs is great for beginners and for people that aren't doing complex parts or complex toolpaths. Most professional shops would do much better with Mastercam than with Gibbs IMNSHO.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

That's crap, only someone who doesn't know the software could say something so naive. I work in a professional shop and all we use is Gibbs making many complicated parts easily.

right back at ya buddy.(gibbsman)

I have just finished my trade and am very frustrated with the conditions of the work shop that I work in. We have 13 CNC lathes, 2 machining centres and 2 turning centres. What frustrates me the most is that they all have different controlers MAZACAM T2, MAZACAM TPLUS, MAZACAM M2, OKUMA OSP 5000 IGF ISO, OSP7000, FANUC 21, FANUC M6, T6 and a few more. I hear eveyone talk about solidworks 2006 and solidcam and just want to know if solidcam is usable on the Mazacams???

selfmean

Hi men!
    This is the first time i write over this forum.
    I have a problem with SOLIDCAM and i wonder if anyone could help me.
    I usually work with solid cam and with a fadal3x center. Now and due to some problems with production i have to send some gcode machining programs outside my company, and concretely to a center with fanuc21M control. I don't know which kind of postprocessor must i use as with any of those which SOLIDCAM includes isn't possible to develope the work i need.
    Well i'd be really pleased if anyone could help me!
    Thanks anyway!

One of the comments I made to the head of R&D in at work when he saw solidworks on my computer is, it's a great design program, but there are no native CAM's that are worth a damn made for it... they all are lousey. His comment was "that's why we didn't go with solidworks here...

now, my comment was based on what I have heard here and elsewhere, not on hands on experience with the cam's. His comment was based on a bunch pf PhD's looing for the best design platform they could buy.

I have been using visual mill and have been very happy with it. The only negatives I have heard about mastercam is, (1) it's CAD ability is a bit lacking compared to solidworks and (2) I have heard it refered to as mastercrash. (3) I have also heard that X is very buggy, but has been fixed in X2.

Unfortunately I have not seen either company giving free demos. Visual mill does, you just can't save your posted g-code. You might want to see if there is anyone locally with a copy of mastercam that will let you play with it for a while.
    If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Page 1 of 2 12