588,603 active members*
9,359 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Selecting start point for 2D pocket - V25

Selecting start point for 2D pocket - V25

Ok, read through the help file, etc. Not finding answer. Think this may be a possible bug, or just something I am missing. How would I choose where I want to start a 2D pocket feature, offset pocket in? Usually the order you select the walls of pocket will dictate where the pocket starts with it's plunge. Tested it in V24, and with a simple square on screen in V25. Both worked. But no matter what I try with my parts actual pocket, it just will not change start position. It always starts on left, and I want it to start on right in open air. Anyone had this happen before and if so, what did you do to get it to work? File attached

I should add that I had done a left hand part first. I then did a part rotate of 180 degrees to make a right hand version. That's where I'm now having the issue. Maybe it was a geometry problem after rotate again? I do click geometry remove, then reselect. But still not working

Don't know if I completely understand ? ?Is not Advanced Pocketing or Advanced Pocketing with Adaptive Rough an attractive tool path for this?Just make the side where you want it to start,,dashed line.

I guess I'm lost too with what you said In my file I extended an open space at right side of part off the slot that gives me safe area to rapid into. The slot is only .396" wide x .080 deep. simple slot, just trying to do simple 2D path on it. Fact is it does work on a rectangle when you select the sides in order you want. But doesn't work on my actual pocket on part. Trying to find out why it works in one spot, but not another.

And 'splain to me a little more Haven't used advanced pocket much yet. Even when I try it, it's still starting in wrong area. What did you mean by dashed line? Or point me in right direction to read a 'how to' a little more.. hehe

Here is some stuff CAD/CAM V25 Open Pockets and Pocket Options - YouTube
    Search of this forum has more
    Questions ? ask away.One of my most used tool paths is advanced pocket/also called "open pockets"

The video was helpful for me in a couple areas. Thanks But, still not helping me with where I want this tool to start. I saw how Al did it on the video, and tried that on my part. No go. I need it to start on the right side where there is no material. Anything I have done to select the right wall of rectangle as my start point has not worked. I don't want to plunge into solid stock. Maybe it's still something I'm doing but the fact I can draw a rectangle on new screen, and then make it start where I want is confusing to me because it will not work that way on my actual part. driving me nuts now

Ok, just tried the advanced pocket using the dotted line. That worked. Although I could not select the start point, it is starting where I want. But some problem still exists somewhere that i cannot tell the toolpath where to start and plunge.

Like This ? ?

Notice dashed line on right side

Yep. That's what I had just tried. Beat ya to it I had edited my post after I tried it. Still does not address the issue though that it used to work, and still does in 'some' places, but not now since I updated to build 996

bobcad guy Guest
    ive been told by bobcad that many times you CANT control the start point in a pocket. i too think this is something that should be fixed, but ya gotta fight the war with the army ya have, not the one you wish you had.

Jessebobcad Guest
    The Start Point in the CAM tree is better suited to be called an Entry Point. This is a POINT specified using one of the point functions.

To clarify more the following allow for entry point usage:
    Zig Zag
    Offset Out
    Offset In

What these will do is use the entry point that you have specified and then move the tool to the start point location of the toolpath. This will not work for an advanced pocket or an adaptive rough because they are coded to start off of the part.

In the below attachment you will see that the point I created is where the tool starts and then it does a full width cut to the location where the toolpath starts.

Attachment 191492

So simplification:
    If you want exact specificity as to where the start point is you will need to use offset out/in or zig zag as this allows for the start point to be used.

Thank you Jesse! Exactly what I was looking for. I tried it and it worked. I could swear I tried that before. but I guess I missed it. Will definitely keep that in mind, but in the process of trying to do this I also learned about open pocket toolpaths. Both will be helpful. Thank again!

To clarify even more, did a little testing. From what I found be sure the POINT you place compensates for the radius of your tool, and any stock left on wall of pocket for finish pass or it won't compute a toolpath from that point. In other words. don't put the point on the wall of your pocket and expect it to offset itself and start there

Otherwise working great!