587,481 active members*
2,837 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Simple V groove late I cant figure out

Simple V groove late I cant figure out

First off I am not the lathe guy but I have been asked to fill in while he is out. I need to put a simple 90 deg V groove on a 2.75 OD steel stock. For the life of me I cant figure this out. The machine is a TL-1 Hass and the tools cut on the front side. Its a 4 pos changer. The tool we want to cut with is a VNGG carbide insert in a .75 holder. Its a center point. Maybe someone could quickly show me what I am doing wrong here.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Have a look at the attachment.

Almost all my lathe programming I do by hand & there's a lot of things here I didn't understand. Still worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by emonje View Post
    Have a look at the attachment.

Almost all my lathe programming I do by hand & there's a lot of things here I didn't understand. Still worth a shot.
    Looks good however will this work if the tool is on the front side of the spindle? I am great with the mill side but lathe has me stumped. The way it shows on verify is on the back side of the spindle. On a Hass TL lathe the tooling is on the front side just like a manual lathe. I know the cut is in the D+ so I dont know if it even matters?

I'm not really sure. You can define where your turret is in "Setup Tool..".

But I'm making collisions trying to move the turret to downside. May be you have to tweak something more somewhere.

Can you transfer the code to machine & simulate there?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lathe.jpg  

Collisions were the same issue I was having when trying to make it look right. Yes I am going to try to simulate it on the machine when I am there tomorrow. I tried it on a g-code simulator and it looks like its trying to cut on the back side. I might be able to fix it by hand if it is however I know that the need to learn how to do simple jobs correctly in mastercam will be needed in the future. The other thing I am unsure about is speeds and feeds. This is just cold rolled steel. Thanks a bunch for the help.

Don't really understand the problem. Something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by DaOne View Post
    Looks good however will this work if the tool is on the front side of the spindle? I am great with the mill side but lathe has me stumped. The way it shows on verify is on the back side of the spindle. On a Hass TL lathe the tooling is on the front side just like a manual lathe. I know the cut is in the D+ so I dont know if it even matters?

Not super critical as to what side of the spindle the turret is on...provided you have X+ and X- as well as Z+ and Z- going the correct direction. The program will be identical either way...the only issue is the verify looking correct. (I used to program HL2 and TL1 and TL2 with the exact same mcam setup since they all had the same X's and Z's...)

Of course, ideally, your programmer shoulda coulda woulda set this up correctly:boxing::nono:

As far as speeds and feeds...start with what the insert container shows as recommended feeds...then adjust as necessary (most likely slower since you are on a Haas)
    Tim

I just looked at your file...It seems you are not using the "Groove" toolpath?
    Tim

Tim like I say I am not a lathe programmer and this is the first time I have ever even used the lathe side. I am unable to contact the programmer as he wont be in for another week. He may have things setup however I don't know. I was asked if I could put a V groove on 7 cylinders and I said I would give it a shot. Thanks guys for all the help. I will most likely be trying the code later today or tomorrow and I will report back.

No worries. Try the Groove Toolpath. It is really easy to figure out and should work for what you want.

Don't worry about the verify. MCAM backplot should be good enough.

Like I said, the code is probably going to be fine (even if it shows the turret on the other side)...so just post it and run it on the Lathe (haas simulator) and that should show you if it is correct.

:cheers:
    Tim

Another way.

Ok, I got it to do what they wanted. Ended up using a different tool all together. Could someone show me how to change the WCS so I can show the tool on the opposite side for verify. This is so it will look exactly like it would on the machine. The lathe we use (Haas TL-1) is basically setup the same as a manual lathe as it cuts on the front side. Here is the file I used. Thanks again guys for the help.