588,270 active members*
11,948 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > MaxNC motion kit for Sieg X3 mill?

MaxNC motion kit for Sieg X3 mill?

Has anyone ever thought about buying one of the Maxnc motion kits with a larger mill such as the Sieg X3?

From their website

[I]" COMPLETE CLOSE LOOP 3 AND 4 AXIS MOTION CONTROL SYSTEMS WITH 'NEMA 23' SINGLE STACK MOTORS
    (as used in the MAXNC 10 CL machine)

Powerful motion system set up to be controlled from a single standard parallel port from a PC computer, using the included MAXNC CL2 software for "G" code format, or using custom software from the user. Motors are capable of over 1,000 RPM with 1.8 Deg. Shaft resolution ( 4 times the speed and power
    of the open loop 145 oz. System).

Includes: Controller with power supply; 3 or 4 motors with encoders; Motor and encoder cables; Parallel port cable; CL2 driver software for PC computers with manual.

CL2 software features: · "G" & "M" code programming · Linear interpolation · Circular interpolation · Helical interpolation · Backlash compensation · Keyboard jog mode · Automatic cycle · Line by line cycle · Tool length and tool radius compensation table · Spindle motor on and off · Spindle speed control from program · Screen update and acceleration/deceleration inhibit (G64) for un-interrupted contouring, and more.

If the controller is to be used with other driver software, it requires only 2 output lines per motor from the parallel port, in quadrature mode, and 2 input lines total for feedback. 4 axes can be driven with a single parallel port.

P/N 22160... 4 axis Motion Control System (single stack motors)……..…...$ 975.00"

Im thinking for the money, you could always swap out items later, like put larger servos in instead. Would that work?

From experience,

That system would not drive such a machine very well at all without some very heavy gearing. Be careful not to buy an under powered controller and motors for a machine that needs a bit more grunt than usual. I'd suggest you go for servos first up, it may cost you twice as much but you will be more than twice as happy. Would you push a car with your little finger or would you use both hands.

Hope this helps :cheers:
    "A Helicopter Hovers Above The Ground, Kind Of Like A Brick Doesn't"
    Greetings From Down Under
    Dave Drain
    Akela Australia Pty. Ltd.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

So does that mean the entire controller would be under powered? Or it just automatically warrants a servo upgrade provided the controller can handle it?

I Like the fact that the controler has the spindle and coolent control connectors built in, and it has everything pre-assembled and tested with software.

The controller would be a stepper motor controller not a servo motor controller so you will not just be able to put servo motors on at a later date without changing the electronics and power supply inside. There are pre-built and tested servo motor 4 axis controllers elsewhere on the market that also have coolant and spindle outputs included. Do your reseach and do not be blinded by one device.
    "A Helicopter Hovers Above The Ground, Kind Of Like A Brick Doesn't"
    Greetings From Down Under
    Dave Drain
    Akela Australia Pty. Ltd.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)