588,685 active members*
6,201 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Prototrak lathe question

OK this is my problem. I am trying to make a spacer thats .625 OD, .25 ID, .625 overall. now i am trying to do it on a prototrak lathe. the tools i am using is a drill bit and a small parting tool i ground out of a 3/8 blank. i have the program pretty much down, but i ran into somthing thats been on my mind for a while. the tool offsets. when do they affect the part? does it change my z langth when i switch the offset? or my dia? any help would be good.

lol ..... this is gonna sound dumb...... but you could whip that sucker off a manual lathe in a few minutes if you are being time crunched till you get a REAL answer. Just a dumb piece of knowledge. CNC is great but my manual roots must be coming out.
    Mistakes are nothing more than life's lessons, therefore I can honestly say I do not make any mistakes....... But I sure do learn a lot.
    "Building empires....leaving legacies"-Epik Creations (future business) http://groups.msn.com/EpikCreations/welcomepage.msnw

yes a manual lathe would be faster if you were making like 10 of them. But i am look ling at making about 200. i belive that cnc is the rout to go on it. the way i have it programed it takes about 30seconds to do each one. the only problem is that one edge has a nasty burr on it. I am wanting to put a conrrad in my program but I have a tool offset oppiset of the rest of the program. when i put it the same as the rest of the program it rubs the part and leaves a nasty finish. so when i changed the offset to the side i have it on now it clears the part. so when i decided to put in an arc instead of a conrade I was confused on which side my offset should be on.

Ahhh I see now............ I just don't see why you would have a burr....... especially on one side of it... I don't know much about the problem but maybe your zero is off or something simple along those lines perhaps? just an idea.... i don't really have much knowledge in this department...... What exactly are u calling a conrrad?
    Mistakes are nothing more than life's lessons, therefore I can honestly say I do not make any mistakes....... But I sure do learn a lot.
    "Building empires....leaving legacies"-Epik Creations (future business) http://groups.msn.com/EpikCreations/welcomepage.msnw