588,507 active members*
4,869 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 5 123

Starting out in UK

Hi guys,

Well so far I have source 2 140oz 6 wire unipolar motors one is a stepsyn and the other is a similar name that I can't remember at the moment. They both came out of photostat thingy machine I think it was. Just need another 1 now

I am thinking of going the hobbycnc route for the controller as even though I know I can use these 6 wire motor's unipolar I think the hobby board is a very well priced interface that give's the me the 3 or 4 drivers and db25 interface as well all in one board.

I'm also going to probably use a ATX PSU to start with as thats what I have available and can always upgrade it later. I will house the psu and controller in a wooden box with laser cut acrylic front and back as I can laser cut that at work.

Thinking of going with a cncdudez frame at the moment as sean is an old friend and will do me a good price on one.

Old pc is available to run it as well so I have access to most of the bits I think.

Anyone see any flaws with this thinking?

God I love this cnc stuff

Happy Xmas all.

Ben

Hi Ben

Happy Xmas and New Year to you.
    You may like to take a look at www.simplycnc.com they sell the xylotex driver boards and are based in the UK.
    Can’t say if there is any flaws in your thinking would need more info on your project like what you’re planning to cut.
    Not saying I am qualified to give you advice but am happy to help if I can.
    Anyway good luck sourcing parts here in the UK. Keep us posted.

Regards, John

Hi John,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. My main use of the router will probably be pcb's and cutting acrylic sheet. I looked at that site and the xylotec 4 axis package looks good after you figure the cost of the hobbycnc one to the uk and if I get stung with any import taxes etc... and the time taken to build makes it on a par with the simplycnc one. Plus I could then use my 6 wire steppers in bipolar.

Thanks for your help,

Ben

Hi Plexer, hello from up North ....

I understand your frustrations trying to get CNC related item's. Ebay used to be a good source for me but it seems to have dried up these days and I think the shortage of items means that most things go for a higher than expected price.

I'm not sure what your budget is but I can recommend the Picstep design that is floating around on the forum. It is a great microstep design but the controller I.C's (LMD's) are not the cheapest to pick up in the U.K but can be imported cheaper.

I don't think you can get much cheaper than an ATX PSU so that should be o.k.

What type of stuff do you have plans to cut ? The reason I ask is that my first machine only had a cutting area of about 300mm * 300mm and it wasn't long before I had the urge to build a MKII with a larger cutting area. For PCB's and smaller items the CNC dude'z frame should be fine. (It's a very nice looking system).

If you plan on building your own I would highly recommed spending a bit of time with a CAD system. (I'm not sure of your experience in this area but can say it really does prove useful and it's surprising what issues with your designs you can pick up on 'paper' before making a simple component).

Well I'm sorry I don't have a lot more to offer. Set a build log away and I'm sure the folks on here will help with any queries.

Cheers, All the best for 2006.

Shaun

Seems simplycnc only shipping 1 cnc mill product now no controllers.

Ben

Check this place out. I have 3 of their controllers and I was really pleased with them. Their motors are a good price too.

http://motioncontrolproducts.co.uk/i...p/cPath/1_8_47

Regards Terry.
    Another UK CNC hobbiest.

I also use Motion control drives and would agree with Mrbeans comments.

Also the MSD556 (may all be) drives are optically isolated which is a bonus.

John

I'm thinking of the 4 axis hobby cnc pro board now it's available to the UK.

Looks easy enough to me to build and the price is right.

Broke out the soldering iron for something else yesterday and it was fun

Ben

[QUOTE=Oldmanandhistoy;225272]I also use Motion control drives and would agree with Mrbeans comments.

John[/QUOTE

Dear Mr Bean and Oldmanandhistoy,

I am considering the MSD 556 as well. Could you let me know which break-out board you use with them?

Many thanks,

Best wishes

Martin

[QUOTE=martinw;226328]
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanandhistoy View Post
    I also use Motion control drives and would agree with Mrbeans comments.

John[/QUOTE

Dear Mr Bean and Oldmanandhistoy,

I am considering the MSD 556 as well. Could you let me know which break-out board you use with them?

Many thanks,

Best wishes

Martin
    Hi Martin,

I have a break out board from the US but any will work fine.
    Look here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cnc-Quick-Conn...QQcmdZViewItem This is the same as the one I was using before and worked well.

John

I have a homemade breakout board that comes from Alan's PICStep design.
    It's the older non opto version. Works a treat though.

Regards Terry.

[QUOTE=Oldmanandhistoy;226372]
    Quote Originally Posted by martinw View Post

Hi Martin,

I have a break out board from the US but any will work fine.
    Look here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cnc-Quick-Conn...QQcmdZViewItem This is the same as the one I was using before and worked well.

John
    Dear John,

Many thanks for the swift reply. I do appreciate it.

Best wishes,

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by MrBean View Post
    I have a homemade breakout board that comes from Alan's PICStep design.
    It's the older non opto version. Works a treat though.

Regards Terry.
    Dear Terry,

Thanks for that.

Best Wishes

Martin

[QUOTE=martinw;226517]
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanandhistoy View Post

Dear John,

Many thanks for the swift reply. I do appreciate it.

Best wishes,

Martin
    No probs if you do invest in the MSD556 drives and need any help give me a shout. Not that you will need my help but just in case.

John

I sourced quite a few parts from www.marchantdice.com, Kevin is based in Devon and also has an ebay shop. He's a good bloke and very knowledgeable. His business is based on linear motion, ballscrew manufacture etc but he also sells everything from snap rings to full plug and play stepper systems.
    www.arceurotrade.com (i think!) is another source of motors and drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    I sourced quite a few parts from www.marchantdice.com, Kevin is based in Devon and also has an ebay shop. He's a good bloke and very knowledgeable. His business is based on linear motion, ballscrew manufacture etc but he also sells everything from snap rings to full plug and play stepper systems.
    www.arceurotrade.com (i think!) is another source of motors and drivers.
    Hi Hayden,

I have seen the ebay user you mention and while he is well supplied imo he is over priced. I source my parts from a number of different suppliers which are cheaper. If you need anything give me a shout and I may be able to point you in a more cost effective direction. Having said that some of the components he sells seem to be well priced.

www.arceurotrade.com does sell steppers and drives but again are not the best priced. For steppers and drives I would highly recommend Motion Control products that also have an Ebay seller.

John

Thanks for that John, i'll bear that in mind, though thankfully (hopefully) I'm done with spending on my machine!

Remember there is more to cost than just a product. Availability of spares and backup are a valid consideration. Also the value of someone who knows their products and application uses is worth thinking about.

[QUOTE=Oldmanandhistoy;226918]
    Quote Originally Posted by martinw View Post

No probs if you do invest in the MSD556 drives and need any help give me a shout. Not that you will need my help but just in case.

John
    Dear John,

I almost certainly will be needing it, but not right now.

On a separate matter, do you have any comments on the threaded spindles from Huco? Here is the link...

http://www.huco.com/products.asp?p=true&cat=394

I was thinking of using them as leadscrews (mainly because they are pretty inexpensive compared to everything else in the UK)

Best wishes

Martin.

Hi Martin,

I use DIN 103 trapezoidal lead screws on my CNC router at present and am very happy with them. So would say you will be fine with them unless you want ultra accuracy then you would need to look at ball screws. If you are building a machine to route wood then the lead screws will give you all the accuracy you need and then some.
    Do you have any prices from your source?

John

Page 1 of 5 123