588,684 active members*
5,752 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Tool Feed rates/RPM way too aggressive?

Tool Feed rates/RPM way too aggressive?

Here is an example of the feeds and speeds X2 is generating.

With
    1/4 carbide drill, stock material, flood

3200 rpm, and 12 inch per minute plunge.

this seems way out of whack.

It should be more like 400 rpm and 1 ich per minute correct?

There is no place to put horsepower in the machine definition also.

What is going on here thanks.

R.

What material are you drilling?

That speed and feed would be okay for a HSS drill in 6061.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

mild steel forgot to put that in sorry.

1018 i think

A carbide drill should be okay at that speed and feed in 1018; certainly 400rpm and 1ipm is much too slow.

I would run my carbide thru spindle drill at 1800 rpm. I run my feed rate at about 8 ipm. If you are only using flood and not thru spindle you should probably back of on what I said. I hope I helped you.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich05 View Post
    Here is an example of the feeds and speeds X2 is generating.

With
    1/4 carbide drill, stock material, flood

3200 rpm, and 12 inch per minute plunge.

this seems way out of whack.

It should be more like 400 rpm and 1 ich per minute correct?

There is no place to put horsepower in the machine definition also.

What is going on here thanks.

R.
    you are babying that carbide drill in 1018 steel, you will end up with premature wear. that is the speed i use for regular high speed drills. you should be able to double your chip load due to the chips not breaking very easily in that particular type of material
    If you can ENVISION it I can make it

thanks for advise why would MC recomend 3200? my max spindle speed.

I say run those feeds and speeds. They look good to me at a .083 peck increment.

Carbide drills generally do not cut but tear material. 3200RPM at 15 IPM because you have to figure at least a .003 radius on the lips.

Carbide over HSS a 30% increase in spindle speed and feed is acceptable.

1018 is Gummy so with a 1/4 in diameter drill I usually use the rule of one peck equals 1 times the diameter. If your depth is equal to or less than .75 deep (.25*3) drive straight through without pecking. For deeper holes reduce your peck by about 25% per 1 inch in depth.

Drill your first 10 holes and check the Margin for plastic deformation. If you have any plastic deformation reduce your RPM in 10% increments or as needed.

Chips should be a little long in 1018 steel so make sure you protect yourself and surrounding equipment with a guard.

Cheers and Happy cutting
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    .....Drill your first 10 holes and check the Margin for plastic deformation. If you have any plastic deformation reduce your RPM in 10% increments or as needed.....
    This puzzles me.

By plastic deformation do you mean a rim around the hole?

If the answer is 'Yes' my comment is why reduce the speed; I would have expected increase.

I don't understand the term "plastic deformation" applied to steel cutting with a drill either. Not sure if I buy that carbide tears the material idea too.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    This puzzles me.

By plastic deformation do you mean a rim around the hole?

If the answer is 'Yes' my comment is why reduce the speed; I would have expected increase.
    Plastic Deformation is a tirm used for Carbide Tool Wear. It kind of looks like the Margin on the ends of the Lands were melted. This is caused from too high of an RPM and not enough Feed Rate. Also the reason why most destroy carbide drills in steels.

There is a large section in the Machinery's Handbook about Plastic Deformation which at the moment I am unable to locate go figure.

A good friend Tim Jones (aka tjones here on the zone) is a Carbide Tool Maker. He specializes in 5 Axis grinding of Common and High Performance Tools. Very talented guy informed me of the proper use of carbide drills feeds/speeds ect.

The drill below is his creation Modeled in Alibre Design.

http://www.indtools.net
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails drill.jpg  
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Cool Toby. :cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    Plastic Deformation is a tirm used for Carbide Tool Wear. It kind of looks like the Margin on the ends of the Lands were melted. This is caused from too high of an RPM and not enough Feed Rate.....
    I can understand the explanation but I think using the term "Plastic Deformation" is not entirely correct.

This sounds a bit similar to what you get with carbide turning tools, and face mills, when the feed is not fast enough; you 'burn' the edge off the carbide. Actually I don't think you burn the edge off, I think what happens is the slow feed means the chip is thin so the contact area is very close to the edge of the tool; cratering occurs very close to the edge and the tool chips off but because things are happening so close to the edge it looks like the edge has just een rounded off...i.e. 'melted'.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stevenson View Post
    Cool Toby. :cheers:
    Mike, I told you that most of my time is spent learning from those who take time to teach. I truly enjoy Machining, Creating, and Programming, maybe too much.

Here are a few parts being worked on now in Alibre Design V10. Neither are finished but will be soon. The names are self explanatory.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    I can understand the explanation but I think using the term "Plastic Deformation" is not entirely correct.

This sounds a bit similar to what you get with carbide turning tools, and face mills, when the feed is not fast enough; you 'burn' the edge off the carbide. Actually I don't think you burn the edge off, I think what happens is the slow feed means the chip is thin so the contact area is very close to the edge of the tool; cratering occurs very close to the edge and the tool chips off but because things are happening so close to the edge it looks like the edge has just een rounded off...i.e. 'melted'.
    YES!!! Thanks for explaining this Geof. Sometimes these terms are hard for me to explain, LOL. Still learning over here and always will be.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Plastic deformation of carbide occurs mostly in turning operations with very high heat conditions when the cobalt "glue" that holds the carbide together softens and the alloys from the steel diffuse into the matrix resulting in a "soft" cutting edge.

It shows up as a distinct outward "bump" on the flank of the tool where the carbide has been deformed or "mushed" outward. It is cured by adding titanium carbide to the mix, adding a coating to the tool, or reducing SFM.

Very unlikely that a 1/4 drill would deform in this manner without breaking. It takes very high cutting forces to make this happen. Most carbide drills (and small endmills) are destroyed because of too little chip load which leads to rubbing and microchipping of the cutting edge.
    Bob
    You can always spot the pioneers -- They're the ones with the arrows in their backs.

Bob; thank you for a good explanation, I have never come across that probably because I have never done really high alloys steels.