588,015 active members*
7,548 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Clearing Chips When Deep Slotting

Clearing Chips When Deep Slotting

I can't be the only one having this problem - When I do deep slotting, typically with a 1/2" endmill, the slot ends up getting packed with chips, and the deeper I go, the worse it gets. I'm using flood coolant, and have TONS of flow, but it's just not enough to get those big, fat, heavy chips out of the way. I'm cutting typically 1/4-1/2" DOC, 15-20IPM, with a 2-flute endmill, so the chips are BIG and FAT, and there's LOTS of them. I actually have to stop the machine, and manually clear the chips (which is not easy!), or they eventually pile up sometimes 1-2" deep, completely covering the workpiece. Suggestions?

Regards,
    Ray L.

If you are cutting aluminum, be sure to use a high helix end mill (I suspect you probably already are), since they will help lift the chip out of the slot.

You say you have tons of flow, but you may need more pressure to blast the chips out. You may also experiment with different nozzle configurations. The VMC I used to run, had a hand held garden hose with a spray nozzle that could be used to augment the flood coolant to periodically blow the pile of chips away.

The flow and pressure from the hand held, was equal to what it would be if it actually were a garden hose (to give you a point of reference). Of course this required an extensive enclosure to contain the spray.

Hope this helps.
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900 - 1944)

I've had the same issues. It can get you in a bind to when the end mill clogs.

I know this isn't ideal because you probably don't want to stand there, but on those deep pockets, I have better luck with a wet vac than coolant alone. It leaves a lot better finish too although I know cutting a deep slot like that it's only your roughing pass.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by HawkJET View Post
    The VMC I used to run, had a hand held garden hose with a spray nozzle that could be used to augment the flood coolant to periodically blow the pile of chips away.

Thats how I do it with mine, I have a 2500 gph submersible pump that has more than enough flow to run a secondary hose. I have 4 nozzles so I just usually just crack em open just enough to float an ark!
    And use some shower curtain material inside my enclosure to contain the monsoon but it sure the hell clears the chips.
    JTCUSTOMS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5580.JPG   IMG_5581.JPG   IMG_5582.JPG  
    "It is only when they go wrong that machines remind you how powerful they are."
    Clive James

Quote Originally Posted by HawkJET View Post
    If you are cutting aluminum, be sure to use a high helix end mill (I suspect you probably already are), since they will help lift the chip out of the slot.

You say you have tons of flow, but you may need more pressure to blast the chips out. You may also experiment with different nozzle configurations. The VMC I used to run, had a hand held garden hose with a spray nozzle that could be used to augment the flood coolant to periodically blow the pile of chips away.

The flow and pressure from the hand held, was equal to what it would be if it actually were a garden hose (to give you a point of reference). Of course this required an extensive enclosure to contain the spray.

Hope this helps.
    Yeah, already using high-helix tools. They do lift the chips out, and they then either fly off the back of the tool, and land in the slot, or get washed back in by all the coolant. The flow will push chips out the length of the slot to a point, but then they pile up at the exit, and create a dam. The pump I'm using has lots of flow, but not a lot of pressure, so I"m not currently getting enough pressure to blast the chips out. I'll have to see if my other pump will do that. This is on a knee mill which is *mostly* enclosed, but if I fget too crazy with the coolant, it will still splash up over the (24" high) Plexi enclosure.

Regards,
    Ray L.

For some reason I think you have another machine that has mist coolant? You might be able to dry cut aluminum with just air blast to clear the chips. Perhaps flood is just making them stick.

I use 1/8" EMs with slot depths up to 1/2" (many passes), so the aspect ratio is more severe, and air blast keeps the slot clear enough that I don't babysit the machine as it does its thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans_G View Post
    For some reason I think you have another machine that has mist coolant? You might be able to dry cut aluminum with just air blast to clear the chips. Perhaps flood is just making them stick.

I use 1/8" EMs with slot depths up to 1/2" (many passes), so the aspect ratio is more severe, and air blast keeps the slot clear enough that I don't babysit the machine as it does its thing.
    Same machine, but I recently switched from mist to flood. The mist does a good job of clearing chips, IF you can keep it aimed at the right place, which is near impossible without frequent adjustment. And with the kind of heavy cutting I'm doing, if the mist was not aimed just right, of if it clogged, things could get real ugly real fast.

I have no problem with smaller cutters - the chips are light enough they get flushed out effectively. But when I'm roughing, I'm creating a huge volume of very large, heavy chips, which just don't float at all, so they tend to just sink into the slot or pocket, creating the problem.

I may try going back to carbide for roughing - the higher RPM and faster feeds fling the chips with much more "vigor". Without the enclosure, they'd fly all the way to the opposite wall of the shop 20 feet away.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I use an air blast on my machine but try setting the coolant up so you have a wash affect so the coolant flow is north-south, left-right as you might be just creating a wirlpool which is holding the chips in the hole / pocket.

Those chips get big & in there tight, even with a wetvac I have had to use a small pick to help them come up and out of the smaller slots ( like 1/4"). I would guess the high pressure is the anwser. Pointing it behind the cutter with a little space so the blast gets under the chips and the washout will move them away. All though that leaves the need for two nozzles so it can do the same in each dirrection.

Jess
    GOD Bless, and prayers for all.

Re: Clearing Chips When Deep Slotting

Is through spindle coolant an option when we do slotting we use 1000 psi through spindle coolant you can purchase through spindle coolant end mills we never seem to have an issue also if you ever seen a mister for like gun drills you can also use them on any tool that is through spindle capable and blast the most through where there through spindle coolant would go pretty much making your tool blow air/coolant mix out of where your normal through spindle coolant would come out if you would like I can send you pictures the air mist system are pretty cheap

Perhaps having an air hose periodically blasting the chips at some interval would suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by embraced View Post
    Perhaps having an air hose periodically blasting the chips at some interval would suffice.
    Also might try just blowing air on it the entire time so the chips are getting blown away as soon as they are cut

A shop I worked at years ago used modified standard end mills for operations such as this. Basically it was just a standard end mill that some circumferential narrow slots ground into the flutes as in the picture below. The slots made the end mills perform more like a roughing end mill but not as extreme. The chips were smaller than normal but not anywher near like a true rougher. The finish was still pretty good because the slots were not at the same height on each flute. The smaller chips would aid in evacuating them from the cut. Over the years I have actually hand modified end mills like this in the past using a dremel tool with a skinny cut-off wheel. It really only takes a nick in each flute to make it work. Maybe something you could try with a cheapo end mill to see if it helps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	end mill.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	301052

Just noticed that this is a 4 year old resurrected thread.