588,240 active members*
4,397 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Final decision

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    After hours spent on reading all those posts about HAAS and FADAL VMC's I feel like I didn't learn anything. I need to make my decision fast (Haas or Fadal 40x20 ). I'll buy it brand new and 10K in price doesn't make much difference. Disregarding all technical specs. , with what brand would you go ? I know that all machines have their issues (old or new)and sometimes I think you have to be lucky to buy new machine that doesn't have any. My one wish would be to get a machine that will hold +/-.001 tolerance for couple of years and make good quality 3D surfacess(doesn't have to be mold quality). What brand would you go with?

I guess that would depend on where you are located. It seems as though the service for Fadal outside the immediate Los Angles area is lacking.

Knowing what I have learned in the past few years and what I have been reading about Fadal, I would go with the HAAS. See the thread in regards to the poor fellow that just got his 3016FX. I think the thread is 'New 3016FX arrives tomorrow'.
    Jeff Lange
    Lightning Tool & Manufacturing, Inc.

I think I would have to go with a Haas mill. Don't get me wrong, I am an old Fadal fan. But it just seems to me that the company has lost it's direction. It's been sold 3 or 4 times, hasn't kept up with technology and I've heard plenty of horror stories about the newer equipment. I was never a big fan of Haas(the company or the founder) but it seems the mills are getting better. I still don't like the lathes though....

:cheers:
    I don't know much about anything but I know a little about everything....

Why not look at Fryer or Bridgeport as alternatives?
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Fadal

I recently bought a 4020 through our area dealer (Mach 3), and have had nothing but good luck with it and their service.
    Mark D. Walton
    Ridge Runnin' Mfg.

You need to take a look at the thread 'OK, the 3016FX here it is' in the Fadal forums. The legacy (HS-88) controls and machines are probably ok as far as running however, that is old school and the machines are slow, slow, slow. The HAAS machines will tool change and be back machining faster than what it takes for the Fadal to get to the home position.
    Jeff Lange
    Lightning Tool & Manufacturing, Inc.

I got fadal with 32mp, 10k spindel, through spindel coolant, 4 megs of memory an im think that i did good decision.
    Friend got Haas. Well its not a bad machine but i like fadal better.
    Im from Europe and LA its pretty away. So about the service i woul say this: if i can survive with fadal, you can too

And one think about Haas. When was friends Haas (3 moldmaker) out of waranty it have serious problem. When he started machine on, the spindel start to move rapid Z - !!! Nothing he can do to stop traveling spindel towards vice......
    Service has told him that some card go crazy....

About speed... If you looking towards speed of rapid moves and changing tools, dont look fadals and haas. Okuma could accelerate 1G !! in rapid moves (and also it accelerate emptyning your wallet about the same speed).