588,033 active members*
5,299 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

help me design 5axis cnc (please?)

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place..

that's a verry verry verry rough rendering what I have flying thrue my head

the round blue disk is a rotating table to put your object on, the arms on the side are to swivel the table.

and the router is going to do the x,y,z axis (not pictured) the table is going to have a diamitor of 1m lust big enough to cut out a guitar out of a solid chunk of wood if I choose to do so. I would like it to beable to handle cutting stainless at the least. and acurate enough to make a model turbine. (0.02mm tolerence ish (0.05 might be acceptible too)

anybody have Idea's how I should go about doing this?

(yes I know a 5 axis mashiene is probably not the best thing to start with as my first project..)

Money is a concern, but I don't want it too be a factor.

and I would like it to beable to work with Mastercam X.

any help would be greatly apriciated

Nick - welcome to the CNCZone. First off - I gotta say, it is a unique approach. Given the size of working space you are considering, you might spend a lot of time. effort, and money, getting the system rigid enough to meet the desired output though.
    Second, I'll add, here is a more conventional approach you might take a look at:
    http://www.rainnea.com/cnc_5axis.htm
    Not to dampen your design, just pointing a more typical design. I tried using the "frame as legs" as you have in your diagram -- and gave it up. It was only 3 axis and I couldn't get it stable enough.
    :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Thanks I wasn't too shure about using "frame as legs" iether

I've looked at using the router to move all the axis, but I wasn't shure if I could make it rigid enough., but that cnc mashiene does look fairly rigid.

whould you be able to use a normal plunge router as the drill motor? or would that be too weak?

Most of my metal cutting tends to be with a hacksaw - or a chopsaw
    But the router works fine for wood, engraving plastics, metal plate and of course routing foam - - what-a-mess! Get a good vacuum!
    :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

lol, I meant if I want to cut something like this:

out of stainless, or should I use a dremal motor?

ok, youve inspired me to change my design, now.. how do I make solid rotational joints? here's My Idea so far for a joint :

hopefully that makes sense (I suck at explaining things.. but if it dosn't make sense I'll try to explain it)