588,243 active members*
4,475 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > How do I mirror tool paths to bottom of part?

How do I mirror tool paths to bottom of part?

I have no idea how many hours I have now wasted trying to figure this out. I have searched here and via google and can not figure this out. I am able to "transform" tool paths from view to view (top to bottom) via a combination of check boxes I screen printed a while back and it actually turns the tool paths over to cut on the bottom, but I can not get the "mirror" to flip over into the new view. (on transfer i just keep clicking points until it finally lines up...)

I am attaching a test part that I made. I have tried literally hundreds of combinations and can not figure it out. I am trying to use "transform tool paths" and every combination I can think of. I am just trying to mirror the paths to a g55. I created the bottom wcs with the origin in the same location after the part is flipped.

HELP. If someone can flip the paths so i can see what checks they used and maybe explain if I am screwing up something with the WCS would help a LOT.

I already cut the parts by just creating new geometry on the bottom and making all new tool paths to get it done, but it took forever compared to how I think it should work.

This is on X5. The original part was made in SW11 so I created this simple part to see if it was due to importing and messing up WCS, but it seems to do the same thing... reassuring as that means at least I know THAT wasn't what I did wrong.
    Attached Files Attached Files

i lied. the part I attached was from the SW import from after the MC part attempt. I transfered this one using a suggestion I read on another thread to create an origin in SW and save as parasolid while selecting the origin as during the save. Kind of a nifty trick.

If I use "translate" and select the NEW 0,0,0 and the ORIGINAL 0,0,0 it lines it up onto the bottom surface. Obviously this is great for translate but I can't get mirror to do the same :drowning:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.jpg   Untitled2.jpg   Untitled3.jpg  

Your mirror view should be FRONT

and the mirror line is either points or a line that would divide the part in half - when looking in the FRONT view

-It would also work if you used the side view ( to replace the FRONT )

mirror view $#@! I kept thinking "mirror to". lol

you ARE super! thank you! knew it was simple... which is why I didn't want to ask and just kept trying. I guess all I had to do was read

It worked! had to play with a few different views to get it to work.

for some reason picking the midpoints of the vertical lines had it cutting into the part so I had to draw a reference line from one midpoint to the other and picked that with "left side" for the mirror view and it worked perfectly!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled4.jpg  

well it worked on screen, but not on g-code.

I went to cut and realized that it was outputting all of the X movements for the bottom in negatives. Negative x is to the left of my g55 datum and the part is to the right???

I wiped it clean and tried doing it again making sure I had "part bottom WCS" (which is set for G55) selected when creating the toolpath transform. I tried unchecking the "reverse order". I tried a few others too, attached was my last attempt.

Second when I mirror toolpaths I get an error that I can not mirror the "transformed" toolpaths for the other 5 parts because they have no geometry - only the original part. To do this do I have to use "create new operations and geometry" + "keep this operation transform" so that I can select the operation it creates and do a transform by coordinate to get the other parts for the bottom?
    Attached Files Attached Files

I also tried changing from the line on the left with "mirror view- left" to a line on the front with "mirror view - front"