587,112 active members*
3,122 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Dynamyte 4400

Help! We have a Dynamyte 4400 mill that we are trying to retro fit with a different control and still use the spindle controls and draw bar. We've managed to get past the homing start up operation for the X axis and still run the spindle and tool clamp. However, when we by-passed the Y and Z axis nothing worked. The screen is blank and you cannot enter any info or programs. After switching it all back nothing still works. Have we blown a board or what? We're pretty electronicly challenged and have no idea what to try now.

What parts are you replacing? What do mean "by-passed" the Y and Z axes?

The machine 's start up cycle always homes the axises out. If it doesn't home it won't go. We jumped the limit switches so that it thinks it has homed out. Everything worked fine when we tested it with the X axis, but when we did all three, it just won't do anything. You cannot input any data.

I'm guessing, but it's possible that some of the home switches are normally open type and others are normally closed. You might want to check with a meter to see which state each switch is in before jumpering.

When we put everything back to the original conections the machine still wouldn't work. The control panel will not allow any input. That's why I'm afraid we fried something and just don't know what board or fuse or whatever.

There are a couple fuses on the side of the back cabinet. They are accessed from the outside by rotating the "knob" a quarter turn and the fuse will pop out.

Do you get "Ready?" on the control screen at all?

No. All the LED lights on the controller come on when you hit the start button and then it just freezes up and you can't get to any screens. Absolutely nothing will work, tool clamp, spindle control or way oilers.

Yeesh. I think you'll have to call Dyna in California. It's possible some board got fried. You can get their number from their web site www.dynamechtronics.com

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the help.

Don't give up just yet

First of all what type of controller are you trying to replace?
    Most machine controls won't let you do anything till you home out the machine
    If you still have a display that's a good sign
    But have you double checked the limit switches and the settings for
    travel to these switches
    What type of drive motors does this machine have? DC servos?
    Have the encoders been replaced?
    Do they give you a correct square wave output on all 3 axis?

Go back and double check everything

Widgits

This Dyna has Dyna's SKIP control (single key input programming) and uses stepper motors with encoders on the motors. Upon power up, the control's LCD prompts "Ready?" and the operator presses a key to begin the home sequence. Only after all three axes home successfully will the control allow the operator to do anything else.

Any ideas on how to by-pass the spindle break and power the oilers and tool changer? I know absolutely nothing about electronics and haven't had much luck finding anyone who will work on the Dynamytes.

I am sorry but my knowledge of those SKIP controls is pretty limited. I even forgot there was a brake on the spindle until you mentioned it. Where are you located?

We're in the Wichita, KS area. The biggest problem with getting anyone to work on the DynaMytes is the lack of decent scematics.

I cannot remember who was the Dyna dealer in your area. Dyna would probably sell you wiring diagrams for the machine, but not the boards. That would allow you to at least determine which board was causing trouble but you would still have to send the suspected board to Dyna for repair.

We've got the operator's and maintance manuals. They have the wiring diagrams, just really bad ones. When I talked to Dyna they said they didn't have any better and that the man who designed the 4400's has passed away. If anyone has something better that the manuals, please help us out.

Yes, the designer of the SKIP control was Sandy Walker and he passed away around '95. He wasn't good at documenting things unfortunately and took a lot of knowledge with him when he left. Dyna still has some folks who can repair the boards if you know which one is bad.

Does your retrofit control keep the Dyna stepper motors and boards, or do you replace the motors?

We kept the motors, but the retrofit uses it's own boards, but does not run the spindle or tool changer.