587,468 active members*
3,107 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Removing USB safely.

Removing USB safely.

Hi all,

I upload programs with a USB but I can't see anywhere where I can eject it safely. I close the program I am using and then physically remove it. Sometimes the key gives trouble on my PC though so I am wondering if I am upsetting it by removing it without some way of stopping it. I can't see anything on the utilities screen though to eject.

Rgds,

Scrap.

scrapper400

Are you using windows xp, if so down in the right hand bottom of your screen there should be a icon for doing that,It will look like a drive with a green arrow, double click on it & you will see what to do

Before doing this you will have to do a Ctrl-S with saves your work, & then you can double click the remove icon, a screen will pop up, press stop & close, you are now safe to remove your USB device

The icon only shows if you have a USB device pluged in
    Mactec54

Thanks for the replay Mactec but I'm running Winmax which doesn't have the same functions as xp or 98. I know what you are saying as that's how I eject the key normally on my PC. Maybe there is a toolbar on Winmax that I could get up similar to xp but if there is I haven't found it.

in File Explorer
    right click the USB drive - eject

Cheers,
    I don't have a mouse though. I'll have a look at file explorer tomorrow. There must be some other way around it.

Thanks.

There is no means to "safely remove" in winmax that I'm aware of. I think it unmounts USB drives when you leave the file manager anyway (evidenced by the "initialising file manager" message every time you go into it with a USB drive plugged in).

Winmax runs on XP Embedded and as such I'd fully expect write caching to be disabled on all drives anyway. Disabling write caching in the case of USB drives negates the need to "safely remove". As long as you don't unplug it while it's accessing the drive you're safe.

We have been using ours the same way since we got the machine last april and have had no problems.

Most likely is you've got a dodgy pen drive or something on your pc is messing it up. Get a new, good quality pendrive (only a tenner for a small one - Sandisk or kingston are good choices) and rule out the possibility of having a bad one.

Also if you're only using the pendrive to upload programs and aren't actually saving anything to it at the control, then the chances of corrupting it are even more remote.

Gregor