588,506 active members*
4,636 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New JGRO build

Hi,
    I read a lot on this forum, now I'm trying to build my own JGRO table (can't stand only watching anymore). At the moment I'm cutting and preparing the MDF, so I finally started ...
    One question though. When I was tapping the adjustment blocks I remembered I saw a thread where somebody spoke about strengthening (is this spelled right ?) the thread in the MDF. I can't find that post anymore. Maybe someone has a hint ? (I used the search function ...)

Make the thread stronger

I am also in the building process. Haveing a good time and for the most part all is going well. I think what your talking about is making the tapped part stronger. Use super glue. I took a piece of lawn trimmer string to to dribble it down into the hole and it picked up some fuzz and became a sort of swab. Really made a difference. Just be sure to let it set up before you thread a bolt into the hole or use excellerator to set it. If you don't you may not get the bolt out again. I found a four tube pack of super glue at Home Depot for under $3. While they are small one tube did many tapped holes and that way they don't dry out as you use only one at a time as needed. Hope this is what you needed. Broken Balsa..

Thanks Balsa, I will try it out. Would it work out with wood glue too ? I'll have a try with a piece of scrap laying around.
    GyRo

I would doubt that wood glue would work very well. The CA glue I used penitrates the material and by doing so give the thread its additional strength. BB

If you have a way of doing so take lots of pictures of your project and put them on your thread. Its a good way to share ideas and get comments on your project. I have used and am using others ideas and pictures to help me solve problems and figure ways to do it better. Hope you having as much fun as I am with the project. BB

I'll try to think of it even though it includes spending more time on the computer than actually building, but as you said it could pay off. After building I'll have another thing to tackle : a steep learnig curve mastering autocad or something similar ... . Someone knows if I can change the title of this tread ?

Edit : Don't bother, as you see I found the way to do it.

Ok, how did you do it... BB

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Balsa View Post
    Ok, how did you do it... BB
    Just re-open your first post and change the title. Piece of cake.

Made a lot of progress last weekend (cutting, drilling parts). Photo's are to come (maybe this night)

Gylron

Hi gylron:
    I was wondering if you had made a choice as to what you use for motors and electronics. My stuff should be here today at least thats what the post office says. There is so many choices out there its hard to make a choice. If you can solder and enjoy doing it I would go that rout. If I could see well enough to do so I would have. I will let you know what I think of the stuff I get today. Its almost to hot during the day to work in the shop right now. I live on the edge of a hi desert in Central Oregon USA and its going to push 100 today. Keep me advised as to your progress. Ron BB

Unhappy On Hold

Sorry guys,

My project is on hold because of my work and holydays. I guess it will almost be september until I can resume things.

Gylron.