588,567 active members*
4,764 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Looking to build Joe's 2006 R2

I have been a weekend woodworker for about 6 years now and after seeing the rockler CNC Shark I started researching and reading as much as I can on the cnc shark router then stumbled on Joe's website which then linked me to this site. All I have to say is WOW after reading too much my head is now spinning in every direction. so I guess I finally did decide on the Joe's 2006 R2 model because of space constraints in my workshop. before I pull the trigger to start the build I want to get my list of parts together and vendors to calculate the cost of the build. I estimate that I may have $1500 for my build.

I have found some assembly instructions but they are dated 6/1/2006, is there any more updated BOM or assembly instructions for the R2 version?

what parts are recommended to upgrade or is there a master list I can pick and choose from?

the electronic parts that I am looking at is a 3 axis hobby cnc pro 305oz kit or the gecko G540 with the same motors from the hobby cnc kit. should I go with the 4 axis kit or some other motors/kit?

For the XY rails I was looking at the 1" OD NB Linear rod (kit8009) from vxb.com, will this work better and be more accurate than the gas pipe solution for the XY rails?

I will most likely go with a 2hp+ PC router with the precise bits collet set.

thanks
    James

The cost of my machine was just a little over $700 and that included everything but the actual router. Normally I did all the cutting in order to save a few dollars. If I was to start over again I would invest a little bit more and go with linear bearings instead of the regular skate bearings with aluminum angle. There are plenty for sale on e-bay if you are patients and you can get them dirt cheap including the bearing blocks. What really matters is what will you use the machine for. If it's just for woodcutting you can go with the original design without a problem. If you ever decide to cut some 1/2" aluminum plate, that is when you will wish you had some linear bearings but if you are ready to spend $1500 do it right the first time around. There are so many mods that it would probably fill 150 pages on this forum so check them all out before you start. I don't know if I have seen this on 2006 model but it is very useful do go with dual screws for the X axis like on Joe's 4X4, without dual motors but with some gears and belts between the two; it's minimal expense and it ensures even movement especially if you are cutting hardwoods.

Good luck and I know you will be enjoying every minute of it and if you get stuck on something send me a PM and I'll see if I can help you out. BTW, that little CNC at the woodworking supply place is a $3500 joke and a pure waste of good material:cheers:

I just made two threads "sticky", so you can find them at the top of Joes forum here.

How much does it cost?

and

Mods and Additions
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

new build

I'm in the same situation as you. I want a solid machine for woodworking. Looking forward to starting my build. Sounds like your plan is along the same lines as mine. I'd appreciate hearing your progress! Keep us posted here. Gleaning info from all the threads is a bit daunting of a task.
    Jim

There is a good parts list on the Joes forum. Even if it is dated 2006, not much has changed. The good one is an excel spreadsheet.
    I say use the pipes as in the design. Linear bearings and rails, etc would be hard to adapt, I think.
    Stick with the Hitachi router, if you want an upgrade, get the Milwaukee 5625. I am not a big fan of PC routers.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...t=43485&page=7
    post 76
    Upgrades from my point of view. K2cnc router mount and replace the MDF part the router mounts to with aluminum plate. There is a picture of this in my build thread. Beyond that, save up for Vectric software. Vcarve Pro or now Aspire are worth the investment. You only need Aspire if you plan to do 3D, and want to create your own. You can create in other software if you have it, and toolpath in Cut3D. Vcarve Pro is hard to beat.
    Oh, one more upgrade. Zero set and corner finder.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56079
    Look throught the upgrades thread on Joes2006 forum.
    Ask more questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Astor123 View Post
    The cost of my machine was just a little over $700 and that included everything but the actual router. Normally I did all the cutting in order to save a few dollars. If I was to start over again I would invest a little bit more and go with linear bearings instead of the regular skate bearings with aluminum angle. There are plenty for sale on e-bay if you are patients and you can get them dirt cheap including the bearing blocks. What really matters is what will you use the machine for. If it's just for woodcutting you can go with the original design without a problem. If you ever decide to cut some 1/2" aluminum plate, that is when you will wish you had some linear bearings but if you are ready to spend $1500 do it right the first time around. There are so many mods that it would probably fill 150 pages on this forum so check them all out before you start. I don't know if I have seen this on 2006 model but it is very useful do go with dual screws for the X axis like on Joe's 4X4, without dual motors but with some gears and belts between the two; it's minimal expense and it ensures even movement especially if you are cutting hardwoods.

Good luck and I know you will be enjoying every minute of it and if you get stuck on something send me a PM and I'll see if I can help you out. BTW, that little CNC at the woodworking supply place is a $3500 joke and a pure waste of good material:cheers:
    Astor123 i was just looking to use the linear rods with the skate bearings thinking it may me stronger and more accurate and not sure i would have the funds to upgrade/mod for the linear bearings. generally i plan to use it for woodworking but i don't want to rule out cutting aluminum. this is pretty much a hobby and i don't plan to make money from it, mainly it will be used to add to my woodworking skills/equipment and speed will not be too much of an issue. i would love to make the 4x4 because of the features but space is a concern because i will already have to make the 2006 mobile to allow me to work in my shop. i will search for any dual screw mods...

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I just made two threads "sticky", so you can find them at the top of Joes forum here.

How much does it cost?

and

Mods and Additions
    Gerry thanks for point me in the correct direction... i did not go deeper into the mods and missed the excel spreadsheet that gacrwell posted.

Quote Originally Posted by windwalkerjim View Post
    I'm in the same situation as you. I want a solid machine for woodworking. Looking forward to starting my build. Sounds like your plan is along the same lines as mine. I'd appreciate hearing your progress! Keep us posted here. Gleaning info from all the threads is a bit daunting of a task.
    Jim
    Jim once i get started i will also start a build thread as well, now all i have to do is sell my vinyl cutter to start funding the build

Quote Originally Posted by BobF View Post
    There is a good parts list on the Joes forum. Even if it is dated 2006, not much has changed. The good one is an excel spreadsheet.
    I say use the pipes as in the design. Linear bearings and rails, etc would be hard to adapt, I think.
    Stick with the Hitachi router, if you want an upgrade, get the Milwaukee 5625. I am not a big fan of PC routers.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...t=43485&page=7
    post 76
    Upgrades from my point of view. K2cnc router mount and replace the MDF part the router mounts to with aluminum plate. There is a picture of this in my build thread. Beyond that, save up for Vectric software. Vcarve Pro or now Aspire are worth the investment. You only need Aspire if you plan to do 3D, and want to create your own. You can create in other software if you have it, and toolpath in Cut3D. Vcarve Pro is hard to beat.
    Oh, one more upgrade. Zero set and corner finder.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56079
    Look throught the upgrades thread on Joes2006 forum.
    Ask more questions.
    BobF thanks for the links, i will look at the K2 mounts i have looked at the 5625 (it is nice) but i already have the PC892 and hitachi MV12 routers. i will most likely use my PC892 because i just seen the K2 mount for it. wow that zero set and corner finder is pretty cool and i have bookmarked it for the future. as for the software i have not even begun to start thinking of it other than the mach3. in the limited research i have done i was interested in the photovcarve and some of the 3d stuff.

thanks
    james

James,
    I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Vectric products. All are available as a free download trial version that lets you try all the features. They are only limited by the ability to save, similat to the trial of Mach3. This makes it easy to see if you like them and compare to other products.
    As for routers, use the one with variable speed. If they both are variable, use the quieter one. I am pretty sure K2 makes mounts for both.
    The zero set and corner finder are almost free as you can make the parts at minimal cost. The software stuff is all posted and available. Just a mod to the Mach3 screen, and a macro to run.
    Start building and posting.

ok i am now on the fence and not sure what way to go as i have been reading quite a bit about the hybrid 4x4 as a 2x4. the space i have to work with is roughly 6'x4' so i was thinking about building the hybrid with the X axis as the 2' and Y axis as the 4', would there be any problems in doing this? also does anyone know what the actual footprint would be?

deciding on what to make the base with either the unistrut or a base out of wood with cabinets, what is the costs of the unistrut?

thanks
    james

James,
    I know this design has been adapted to lots of other dimensions. I think there are several that have built it as a 2 x 4. I can't give you a footprint.
    You can use either wood or unistrut amoung others. Unistrut is usually available at your local box store Lowes or HD. Check there to get the price in your area. You can also order it from most Industrial supplys. Try Mcmaster or whoever you like.

The long rails are 72" I think, so a 2x4 would probably be ±36x72, maybe a little wider.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

The 2x4 I saw just shortened the width to 2.
    You can build it any size, just reduce the dimensions. Cut the parts shorter.

Joe's 2006

Joe is sort of a reverse engineer guy and if you give him a golf ball he'll come up with a sling shot. In other words, his 2006 model is perfect for what it was designed for.