587,193 active members*
2,956 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: DNC to 88HS

DNC to 88HS

Hey guys. I have a 96ish VMC15XT with the 88hs controller. I am programming using McamX and sending through CIMCO DNC Max Server. Batch sending to this machine is and has worked great but I am finding the need to DNC lately. It is set to 38,4k baud rate, Xon/Xoff and the rest of those settings are working great. I dont have to type in CD,10 before batch sending, just ta,1. Do you guys leave it in command mode and type dnc? Or something else? I can get it to where it says waiting....and then it will just sit there and stare at me (chair)

In command mode type DNC.
    Machine should go into "waiting"
    If you like you can press start at this point but I dont recomend that.
    Send your program from your DNC software, the DNC software may send untill your buffer is full.
    If you already pressed start your machine will start running or if you didn't go and press start and the program will start running.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Thanks for the quick reply...I tried doing this and it does not work. I get the waiting screen and all but it just sits there. I changed the advanced settings under this port to send in Xmodem format and set those parameters to how the book said and now it wont batch send either. So going back to the normal style for now. O, also Im in format 2. Any other ideas???

ps the reason I switched to Xmodem was because the book said this is the format to use when > 9,600 baud rate.

I just lowered the baud rate to 4800 since most of what I read here leads me to believe that 9,600 and under is popular for these machines. Doesnt anyone else use CIMCO Max Server?

If your machine is set at 38,4 your DNC baud needs to be at 38,4 as well.
    When the machine is at waiting it will not accept DNC untill you press start again.

Yeah I did change both, sorry forgot to mention that. And I typed in DNC first, then sent my program from the hub pc and then walked back, noticed it said waiting, so I hit go and it just sits there....

Did you by chance change the baud rate on the VMC?
    If so you have to completely power the machine down for changes to take effect.
    If this doesn't do it some com settings must be off somewhere.

BTW I DNC at 19,2 and most DNC at 38,4
    If you have a lot of short moves your machine will choke big-time at 9600 or less.
    I hope this helps somehow.

If it just sits there, then you do not have a data connection. Once you enter "DNC" the VMC is reading the RS-232 port. If you can not upload and download part programs then the PC DNC program is NOT communicating with the machine. You must be able to send and receive in both directions.

Neal

I did power down all the way. I found that out the hard way already. I will break the book back out and check the com settings again....

Protocol - ASCII
    Parity - even
    data bits - 7
    stop bits - 1
    HShake - Xon Xoff
    wait - off

I dont have an Xon/Xoff option. It says I can check the box to use Xmodem transfer style or uncheck it and it uses a default I guess? Neither of those worked yesterday. I checked and made sure it uses DC1 for Xon and DC3 for Xoff and that is all correct. Is it friday yet?