587,141 active members*
4,351 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > When to evaluate new CAM software?

When to evaluate new CAM software?

I have a question about when to evaluate a new CAM software. We have been using a particular software for about 3 or so years now, and have gotten mixed results. It has been our practice to explore new software when we encounter new needs that the current platforms in use have not supported the particular line of work needed. So now we have multiple platforms performing the same and also different work needs.

Now as our office moves forward with looking into new machines (CNC Router) for cabinet and case work we are finding our selves at a cross road in a lot of different respects. So I thought I may draw on some collective wisdom and opinions of the users here.

I'll give a short overveiw of where we are at currently...

Machine - Haas Mill, CAM software (main) - Esprit (secondary) Artcam Pro.

Design Softwares - (main) Vectorworks, (secondary) Autocad and Rhino3D.

Current work - Building museum exhibits and all the supporting components, like casework, acrylic fabrication, models, and protoypes, etc.

Now we have found the need to expand into CNC work for our cabinet shop, since most of that gets jobbed out for CNC machining. Also we have found we are increasingly needing a larger work envelope for the model work we wre doing. We have narrowed in some machines for the shop, run across a lot of different issues, but seem to be working them out.

Some of the machines we are looking at come bundled with a CAM software, but we don't have to purchase that in the package. As we move forward it looks as though Esprit may not be a good fit for the cabinet shop. Due to the fact it doesn't support a lot of the needs that will be expirienced by this shop. Our Artcam Pro can handle some of the particular issues, but not all. There have been inclinations of looking towards Mastercam router, or other cabinet type programs to fill these needs. If this is a viable option for them, would it be logical for the office to streamline our CAM softwares, and also switch our model shop over to the mill package as well? How much advantage is there to having all the CAM programmers using the same software?

I've read a lot of different posts and articles concerning these issues and there seems to be no real clear answers. Most of it comes down to budgets and personal preferences. Since we are a non-profit organization our funding is pretty much set. So in one respect it makes some of the decisions a little easier to deal with. Probably the biggest thing that we are looking for is better cross functionality since our work force is limited and we have to do more on the lean side, with our operations.

I'm also looking for some thoughts as a side note on the software issue as well. Is it more to our advantage to have another machine made by the same manufacturer with the same type of control? I would think it would be, in order to let the operator comfort stay the same and reduce any learning curve. I've worked in another shop and we had multiple machines with all different controls and it became a hassle for operators to switch their thinking between machines, if they were continually running one for a long period. As we upgraded we started buying all the same type of machine and our productivity increased since we were all familiar with the same control. It was also easier to troubleshoot problems as well.

I welcome any thoughts people have and appreciate the help.

CJH

If you've been getting mixed results for 3 years, you probably should have evaluated software 3 years ago. If your software can't do what you need it to do, then I'd say it's time to look elsewhere. However, cabinet and casework may require a different approach than other areas of your work, depending on the volume of work your doing, as cabinet software can be quite expensive.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Gerry,

We did look at other software to help fill in the gaps we had with software in our office. We bought Rhino to aid in the 3D modeling area, and later bought Artcam pro to help fill in the artistic machining area that Esprit seems to like doing. The cabinet shop bought Autocad to aid in detailing work and prep files for sending out to cut on the outside. Also the AC was purchased to support other design offices in our organization.

I guess my real question is it better to have one main CAM software that will to support all our needs or continue to splinter off in different directions trying to fill the needed gaps. I worked in another shop where we used only one software, for total integration between design to production. But since the current place I work needs to support multiple formats, it becomes more of cloudy issue.

Thanks for the input though.