588,510 active members*
5,485 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

An Eccentric Shaft

Hi all!

I'm a newbie and got this drawing this morning, I had no idea how to do it......
    The quantity is only 1k, what's the fastest way of machining this?
    (p.s. Material = Brass)

Any suggestion is welcomed!

Thank you!
    Cole

This could be turned between centers with a faceplate and lathe dog.

Start with much longer material about the diameter of finished part. Chuck one end, lock head and scribe line along edge of each end (On waste material) and onto face with lathe tool. Reverse and scribe other face. Measure along face line and Drill center dimples for the larger eccentric diameter on each end.

You will be turning an out of balance load, so speed and feed must be fairly low. After turning that, part off each end a little shorter, re-score faces, and adjust position of new dimples for smaller diameters. Repeat until smallest diameter is turned, replace center with drill and bore end. Chamfer and part off ends to finished lengths.

At some point in there, you will need to drill the small hole. You might want to drill it first, on center, a deeper length to span waste material and end up proper depth.

CR.

Conventional lathe for 1 piece.
    4 axis mill for 1000 pieces

Smile

Aww, c'mon mc: Lay it out in detail please.

CR.

Thanks alot CR!

And liked CR said, I'd really wanna know how to machine it by using 4-axis mill~

Cole

Hi Cole. I gave you the old-time manual way to do it, so you could see what would be involved.

Once the CNC mill is programmed, it would do things differently--Basically contour milling the rotating part while one end is chucked into the 4th axis.

Mostly, The 4th axis CNC is going to depend on your Cad/Cam/control software and your machine.

If you have good 4 axis software, it may be as simple as loading the drawing and running the generated G code toolpath.

CR.

Going to depend on your CAD/CAM software. If you have simultanious 4th axis machining, while the A axis rotates, the Z axis is moving up and down. Being a soft material such as brass, you can get away with such a simple process using a 2 flute center cutting endmill.
    I made similar parts at a shop I used to work for years ago, only they were aluminum. They were some kind of cam locks, what are these used for?